Blow Your Mind - You are using your canopener wrong

BTW, it means "mozzarella in a carriage."

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I don't like tomato sauce, but Mo is Italian and does. She uses fresh tomatoes, or sometimes stuff that comes in a carton.

I make a white sauce and sometimes put in just a little of her tomato sauce, sort of an orange-colored sauce.

lunatic fringe electronics

OK kinda like french toast with cheese inside.

I like to caramelize some onions and add them to the middle of my grilled cheese.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's an appetizer in better Italian restaurants.

Yeah, bacon, tuna, chilli. All kinds of things.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yes, the fear of germs on can lids makes it hard to eat, or sleep. But the real worry is paper cuts from turning the pages of cookbooks. If you don't bleed to death immediately, they always get infected.

Wearing two layers of gloves at all times can somewhat reduce the risks.

lunatic fringe electronics

don't cut all the way around leave the top connected to the can, the top flips open when you pour it out

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Chips and baked beans (preferably Heinz) is serious food where I'm from. You can have almost anything alongside - battered fish, sausages, egg, pie, steak, lasagne. I think I read somewhere that the British eat more baked beans than the rest of the world put together.

I don't claim that baked beans are haute cuisine, I'm just saying that they are a special case.

Reply to
David Brown

OK, very interesting! I guess maybe some time I will have to try it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have a few of those scattered around the house. My guess is most are from WWII. The P-38 is a lousy can opener. It takes forever to open a can, works badly on rectangular tops with small radius corners, and tears holes in my pocket and back pack.

Much better is a "Church Key" opener. While normally used for opening pre-poptop soda and oil cans, it can be made to work on soup cans. The problem is that the jagged edges are VERY jagged and of course, quite sharp. Something like this: but with overlapping cuts into the lid. If the sharp points bother you, just push them back down into the can.

Another way is to use a modern version of either of these tools in its current manifestation as one of the numerous blades on a Swiss Army knife or a Multi-Tool. I won't bother to review the many can opening contrivances found on multi-tools. They're all slow and tedious to use. Most people only use these when there's no other can opening device available:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Why am I talking to people who probably can't even tie their shoes right ?

jurb6006

Oh, and try the tomato-roasted pepper soup from Trader Joe's. It comes in a paper carton. It's great as a soup or a dip.

If you add oil and vinegar it becomes roasted pepper vinaigrette, for salad or for dipping roasted vegetables.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

served with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side for dipping... (I add some basil to the soup too.) "

That shit has HFCS in it. I was taken aback when I found out. It used to ha ve many uses but now it has none, at least for me. With all the price their name can command, they had to save a few dollars and switch to that poison ? That shit is history with me.

Reply to
jurb6006

I tried it today with two cans (both exactly the same). On one can I used the opener in the usual manner. On the other can I tried the youtube way.

The youtube way left a sharp cutting edge while the traditional way left none. (My opener is the same as in the video)

Conclusion: don't do it the youtube way.

Reply to
John S

On the back of a Campbell's "Chunky Grilled Sirloin Steak with Hearty Vegetables" soup can, is inscribed: Caution: Metal edges are sharp. If using can opener, open bottom of can.

Perhaps you were opening the wrong end of the can?

Conclusion: Nobody reads the instructions.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Humph! First principles say tat manuals were meant to be ignored.

Reply to
Robert Baer