BenQ FuQ !

The 2018 award for biggest piece of junk in the history of electronics goes to

BenQ !!!

For producing one of the most useless garbage cd/dvd rom reader/writer driv es I have ever seen !

  1. First the drive started to fail to open and close.

  1. Now it completely blocks the drive. Even pulling or pushing hard on it d oesn't help.

I believed maybe these blocks are electronics failures so I pulled all the cables trying to get rid of ground loops and static electricity, this didn' t help.

It's also possible the firmware got infected with some advanced virus block ing the drive.

I am not even going to try and repair it cause I already know what the stor es will say, "not worth the cost". Though maybe if I ever get to dismountin g it I will open it to see what caused the blockage.

This drive has been rarely used. I no way should it have failed this specta cular.

It's total junk.

BenQ should based on this evidence completely stop from designing and manuf acturing electronics ! LOL.

Never ever will I buy a product from them ever again... and if I somebody e ver dares to enter my living space with such a product I will immediately k ick him/er out of the door or the product goes into the waste basket... bef ore it fries any of my electronics by connecting it ! LOL.

Here is a video for your enjoyment how I wrecked the shit out of this piece of shit:

(I never wanted this drive in the first place !)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

es to

ives I have ever seen !

doesn't help.

e cables trying to get rid of ground loops and static electricity, this did n't help.

cking the drive.

ores will say, "not worth the cost". Though maybe if I ever get to dismount ing it I will open it to see what caused the blockage.

tacular.

ufacturing electronics ! LOL.

ever dares to enter my living space with such a product I will immediately kick him/er out of the door or the product goes into the waste basket... b efore it fries any of my electronics by connecting it ! LOL.

ce of shit:

a sample of one tells us nothing about reliability. I also had a sample of one BenQ item, impressed with it & never any problems. Retired when the tec hnology had moved on.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why is it that everything that you touch breaks?

lunatic fringe electronics

That's why it's called a "break-in period".

In the repair biz, my perspective of product quality is rather distorted. I'm sure that there are people out there, that buy something new, which works forever and without any problems. I never see those. Everything that crosses my bench is in some way either broken, allegedly broken, or will soon be broken if the owner continues to vile and disgusting things to the equipment.

I've observed that such problems are often more user dependent than product dependent. Some users simply are incapable of handling any manner of sophisticated equipment and will break everything they touch. Many years ago, I the various computers and printers owned by the proverbial "little old lady" who seemed to have no luck with anything she bought. I was regularly repairing her equipment for obscure and strange problems that did not seem to come from misuse. In frustration, I traded her intermittent and unreliable PC for my own personal PC, which had been running perfectly for a year. It immediately developed a serious of mysterious failures. Unfortunately, her previous PC did not fix itself and I soon scrapped it for parts to built a new machine. Some people simply lack something intangible (aura?) that is needed to own and operated complicated electronics.

I've had some experience with some Ben-Q products (mostly Dell monitors and CD/DVD drives). They're on the low end of the quality scale and somewhat difficult to repair. The refusal of the CD tray (cup holder) to open and close if very common among all manufacturers. It's caused by users opening and closing the drawer using mechanical means, rather than letting the motor do it's job. This causes the drive belt to stretch and slip. Once the belt slips, the tray won't move. Sometimes, the problem is caused by too much grease on the plastic slides, which eventually migrates to the belt. Replace belt, remove oil from belt, or use belt dressing. "Even pulling or pushing hard on it doesn't help..." will create the problem or make it worse.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

My wife tells me "You touch things and they work." That seems to be true; machines like me. Some people are the direct opposite.

We have all Dell PCs at work, and I have three identical ones. They have been great. But we didn't buy the low end, and we buy them and then don't muck with them. Our prievious PCs, HPs, were wonderful; they just got obsolete.

I don't use a CD drive even once a month. Everything is networked.

lunatic fringe electronics

I bought my Pioneer DVR-A09 around 2005, and it's been flawless. They were about $100 back then. It's hefty.

I bought my sister an ASUS DVD burner some time after I got my Pioneer. It failed long ago. The tray quit working, like yours. She never used the button to close the tray, always pushed it back in. The ASUS was much cheaper and felt lightweight, like a throwaway.

Wonderful! Hey, I bet the laser still works. Now that you got the tray out of the way, stick an inspection mirror in there and see if you can spot it!

Reply to
Cows Are Nice

I once heard a business owner complain his employees could break an anvil. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Impressive, but improbable. An anvil is made from cast or forged steel which are fairly soft so as to absorb any shocks or impacts without chipping or cracking. I've used a vertical mill to shave the working surface flat on a small anvil without much difficulty. If the employees were able to break an anvil, then it must have been hardened, but not annealed, or perhaps had internal cracks, voids, and imperfections.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

There's a YouTube channel where someone cuts all manner of things in half with a water knife. That includes anvils. The one they cut had a super-huge chunk of Bondo filler in it. (or whatever). Probably some cheap Chinese knock-off.

I don't know why I was surprised at the time, but then, how often do you see an anvil cut in half with a water knife?

Reply to
mpm

Ahh, could it be that was an overstate said in frustration after some work item was broke, yes, I'm going with that, and you should too! I never took it literally. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

anvil or what is known as an ASO - anvil shaped object ?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Edward Scissorhands

Reply to
aioe usenet

Cutting An Anvil In Half With A 60,000 PSI Waterjet - whats inside an Anvil? - Scandal (5:00)

The guys in the video probably knew in advance what they will find when the anvil was bisected with the waterjet cutter. An properly cast or forged anvil has an unmistakeable distinctive ring: A bad casting job, with that much Bondo, should have been detectable with a ball bearing ring test or a magnet. I guess buying a painted anvil is a bad idea.

The waterjet was rather impressive. However, due to the cost, I would take my time and use a bandsaw or oxy-acetylene cutting torch.