Audio Amplifiers

Hi all,

What is the best configuration for those first crucial one or two stages of an audio amplifier? I mean when you're dealing with the very low signal levels you typically get with phono cartridges (anyone remember them? - they're making a comeback!) in particular wrt to minimising noise and distortion? What's best for the front end? Are we talking long-tailed pair or something more involved? I'm well out of date on the subject.

cheers.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

** For a regular, moving magnet phono PU, an RIAA pre-amp/equaliser stage using an audio op-amp like the NE5534 is hard to beat. Very low noise, very low THD and easy to use. You get two in the same pack if you buy the NE5532.

Couple of dollars a piece.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Google for "Douglas Self"; he did some good work in the 70s and 80s.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

se

ed

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's been a few years since I rolled my own preamp, but, IIRC, the first stage (bipolar) should have low VCE and low IC for best noise. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

And it's all long-tailed pairs in the input stages.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Very tempting. But this is a personal project/challenge so I don't want it all done for me. Spoils the fun! I've got a stack of old toobz (EL83s?) that are fetching silly money on ebay these days (thanks to the

2nd harmonic distortion revival :)) that I plan to use in the final stages for that "warm toob" sound. Wouldn't seem right using an op amp at the front end under the circumstances. Wanna go retro.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

For what it's worth there was a company years ago called PS audio that was renowned for their preamps -- maybe there's a schematic somewhere ?

Reply to
mkr5000

The guys here are very sharp, but they are not mind readers. Couldn't you have mentioned these requirements in your OP?

Reply to
John S

Well, a 1960-style solution is a long tailed pair built from both halves of a 12AX7A.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Gack! Give me a solid state amplifier any day. But I'm biased, played clarinet in orchestra for many years, so I know what everything should sound like... for example, listen to a Mozart wood-wind ensemble on a toob amp versus a solid state one... the intermod on the toob amp will make the oboe sound just awful. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

The 12AX7 (even the "A" variety) is noisy as shit!

A retro-chic 21st century solution would be to use a JFET and a lower gain and noise medium mu triode like the 12AZ7A, in cascode.

Reply to
bitrex

Of course it is. Better than most of its confreres, though, and Cusser wanted retro. ;)

Nuvistors such as the 6CW4 are surprisingly quiet, though. ~2dB NF at 432 MHz iirc.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The retro front end is 12AX7 / ECC83.

--

-TV
Reply to

For the iron-wire 'music' you need the intermod ...

--

-TV
Reply to

His audio design books are worth reading (just finished Small Signal Audio Design).

Although they wouldn't help the OP (solid state only).

Reply to
JM

If you can borrow "How to Gain Gain" by Vogel from your local library it'll sort you out.

Reply to
JM

The closest I get to iron-wire "music" is John Philips Sousa ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

You're a punny guy. (biased)

Reply to
jurb6006

"Small Signal Audio Design" by Doug Self, 2010 is another great reference!

Reply to
bitrex