Another mistake

Opps, I made another mistake.

I=92ve got an opamp driving a unity gain power opamp.

|\ OPA134 Vin---|+\ |\OPA544 | >--+----|+\ +-|-/ | | >--+--Vout | |/ | +-|-/ | +--10R--+ | |/ | | +-------+ R | GND

With 10 ohms hanging on the output there is a bit of cross-over distortion. Hey, I thought, I=92ll just feed back from the output and maybe the first opamp can =91goose=92 the second to reduce it.

So I changed it to this,

|\ Vin---|+\ |\ | >-------|+\ +-|-/ | >--+--Vout | |/ +-|-/ | +--10R--+--+ |/ | | +-------+ R | GND

Didn=92t work at all??? The output of the first opamp was near the negative rail and the output of the power opamp was about 1/2 of the positive rail. Mucking about (adding some C from the first opamp back to it=92s inverting input) I got the thing to work. But when I re-power or hit the rail with the output the thing stops working again.

Do I need to limit the voltage swing going into the second opamp?

Thanks, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I do basically that in my latest chip design, except the second OpAmp is rail-to-rail input and can output 100mA rail-to-rail... the first OpAmp is integrating and also rail-to-rail output

It's probably singing... did you 'scope it? ...Jim Thompson

Instead of directly coupling them in the (+) input, try a resistor between the output of the first OP-amp and input to the power amp.

I don't know the BW you're looking for? But my suspicions tell me if you use your first configuration and maybe something like a 2k R at least to couple them, you may see different results. also, I noticed that Op-amp has compensation inputs, have you terminated them properly? Just asking because I don't see it here ?

Btw, aren't those kind of old units? No matter, if they work I guess its fine.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

You probably exceeded the CM range of the power amp. A suitable voltage divider in between might make it work, assuming the power stage is much faster than the gain stage.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

er

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

I've always got a 'scope on circuits. It looks like I'm over voltaging the input of the second opamp. I've heard about phase reversal when you over drive. Now maybe I know about it.

Tomorrow, I'll try some diodes in the power supply leads to the first opamp. (Is there abtter way to drop a little voltage?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

wer

ss

Reply to
George Herold

wer

ss

Opps, (I hit the send button without typing)

Thanks Jamie I did try a few k ohms in the second circuit. (hmm maybe I need more?) The first circuit works fine. (Well except for the cross over distortion) I'm looking at a frequency of 20 kHz.

I was trying to do all this limiting with diodes and resistors, but the opa134 kept over powering whatever I hung on the output.

Do you have a better power opamp that does DC?

I was on the TI web site and noticed they now have power opamps that will do

100V. for ~$10. Anyone tried them?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hey, George -

I got a pointer to this one a few weeks ago right here. It is a TCA0372DP2G. It is 1A output but only goes to 40V. I had not seen your requirement of 100V. HTH.

Cheers, John S

Reply to
John S

I've found issues with some circuits with 0 gain on the - input like you're doing. since that is a power amp, you basically are putting a very low Z on the (-). Normally when you do this, other items in the circuit after does not have a low Z. Not all amps behave the same like this how ever, in stead of a hard return to the - input with the power amp, try an R and still use the original configuration..

What I think may work is a high Z in the feed back. With charge that is in the (-) input, you should be able to get the cross over to switch differently and not have the distortion visible that you're now seeing..

It is worth a try any way..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Opps, (I hit the send button without typing)

Thanks Jamie I did try a few k ohms in the second circuit. (hmm maybe I need more?) The first circuit works fine. (Well except for the cross over distortion) I'm looking at a frequency of 20 kHz.

I was trying to do all this limiting with diodes and resistors, but the opa134 kept over powering whatever I hung on the output.

Do you have a better power opamp that does DC?

I was on the TI web site and noticed they now have power opamps that will do

100V. for ~$10. Anyone tried them?

George H.

============================================= George,

these links at TI may be relevant to the issue on hand:

I was looking specifically for yet another app note on composite amplifiers, but could noy find it, maybe I'll be able to get a copy from an old disk...

Thanks, Jure Z.

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

I?ve got an opamp driving a unity gain power opamp.

|\ OPA134 Vin---|+\ |\OPA544 | >--+----|+\ +-|-/ | | >--+--Vout | |/ | +-|-/ | +--10R--+ | |/ | | +-------+ R | GND

With 10 ohms hanging on the output there is a bit of cross-over distortion. Hey, I thought, I?ll just feed back from the output and maybe the first opamp can ?goose? the second to reduce it.

So I changed it to this,

|\ Vin---|+\ |\ | >-------|+\ +-|-/ | >--+--Vout | |/ +-|-/ | +--10R--+--+ |/ | | +-------+ R | GND

Didn?t work at all??? The output of the first opamp was near the negative rail and the output of the power opamp was about 1/2 of the positive rail. Mucking about (adding some C from the first opamp back to it?s inverting input) I got the thing to work. But when I re-power or hit the rail with the output the thing stops working again.

Do I need to limit the voltage swing going into the second opamp?

Thanks, George H.

********************* Yes. You're exceeding the Vcm of the 544 which is typically 4V inside each rail. Min is 6V inside each rail. Art
Reply to
Artemus

Oh, the 100 Volts would be for a different Piezo circuit.

40 V would be plenty for the present circuit. (+/-15 V rails.)

I'll give it a look see.

Hmm, If I'm getting an amp...It sure feels like I want (at least) a TO-220 type of package. I was thinking of bolting it to the front panel... A 8"x12" piece of aluminum. (I'll need some sort of Sil pad.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

er

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

rs,

..

Wow, Thanks Jure. That's a bit more than I wanted to do.

But I see I can mix up the gain. I wanted to keep the power opamp at minimum gain. That looked like the lowest distortion.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:27:55 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Sometimes 'crossover' can be eliminated by a bit of feed forward, in this setup R1 drives the output for very small signals. It should not oscillate, as it is driven from a very low impedance. The size of R1 depends on the size of the cross-over region and the power required at the output (say load). I have used someting like this is power RF amps (150kHz) ... many many years ago.

----R1--- |\ OPA134| | Vin---|+\ | |\OPA544| | >--+----|+\ | +-|-/ | | >--+---Vout | |/ | +-|-/ | +--10R--+ | |/ | | +-------+ R | GND

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sounds like you invented an analog latch.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

back

re-power

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0|

food.- Hide quoted text -

If you do consider a resistor between the diodes to hold them well into the conduction curve.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

ack

power

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0|

Thanks, It was the common mode voltage as Phil H, suggested. I threw away some signal and then added it bakc and got it to work. But no improvement in the cross over distortion. :^(

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

quoted text -

Did you try what I suggested in the feed back loop ? And that is to use a R in the feed back instead of a hard loop back?

This helps to reduce Ringing on fast transitions also, I find that when some amp devices get to the cross over, there isn't enough shoot through current and the (-) input is left with a low Z loop line connected to a diode junction that can act as a rectifier for stray RF, this will certainly give you a little noise.

By using a resistor in the feed back for the - input instead, you can take advantage of the charge that is sitting at the (-) to give you a slight gain increase to help you move that crossover a bit faster.

Also, increasing the R at - input which will lower the Q of any induction the feed back loop may have on it.

It's just an observation. I've had to use R's in the feed back of a unity stage amp instead of a hard loop for these reasons.

You may want to observe your output at crossover for what looks like a ringing. This could indicate the outputs are not getting on soon enough to quench the loaded C and prevent ring.

Forcing the (-) input hard can cause the charge internally to actually work against you in some cases. A lot depends on chip design.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Hi

I've no idea if this would work at all, but what about reducing the gain of the 1st opamp before feeding the 2nd?

--
bye
!(!1|1)

ars ago.

Cute.

The brutish way is to load the OPA544 output, forcing it to run class A. Cleans up LM324s nicely.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat