another breadboard

People are always barging into my office and shouting numbers without a heads-up context, wanting decisions they should make themselves. And the phone rings and emails arrive all day. A boy can barely think. It's nice to come in on Saturday and be alone and Dremel and solder and scope things.

Plus, Mo broke her knee (cracked the patella, painful but not too serious) so a zillion ladies are coming over to knit and make lady noises. Good time to be out of the house.

We have a rush job, thing gotta work first time, and my part is the clocked hysteretic ("hysterical") switchmode low noise super wideband constant current source. Figured I'd breadboard it to make sure; the mosfet gate driver and the current sense amp both have some risk.

Another BB on the gold-plated FR4. It's only about halfway built, but I've got the basic power stuff switching. It's wildly insane without the two mosfet gate resistors.

The rectangle on the right is a cool Coilcraft 8 GHz power inductor, sort of a linear version of the Piconics things. The current sense resistor, between the big inductors, will have a small DC voltage and a huge AC common mode, so I might bring it down with a balun.

The self-stripping Beldsol wire is great. My iron temp is lower than ideal, so x-acto scraping the wire just a bit before soldering makes the insulation melt away a lot faster. The #30 wire cuts nicely with the x-acto, too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

[snip]

I find that the women are more interesting to talk to than the men... all the men want to talk about is some fricking football game >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Obama's method of politics seems by way of William Butler Yeats:
         The best lack all conviction, while the worst
               Are full of passionate intensity

There are some people who feel obliged to talk constantly, whether they have anything to say or not. I know men and women like that, but more often women. Constant chatter drives me crazy.

I generally agree about talking to women, though. The only thing men are good for is designing electronics with.

Is it football season again?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I wouldn't know ;-) ...Jim Thompson

When the kids go back to school it is football time. when you consider moving to South America it is getting lcose to superbowl time, which is the end of the season.

At least that's how it use d to be.

Reply to
jurb6006

Sorry to hear that. Thoughts are with her for fast recovery.

Reply to
RobertMacy

She's doing good, almost through with the crutches. Patellas are pretty much useless, so naturally they heal fast.

I'm making slow progress on the breadboard, an hour here and there.

The Zetex dual nfet, in SO8, was cute, but there aren't a lot of options, and they don't dump heat well. Hence the SOT223's. One trick in a half-bridge synchronous switcher is to not get fets with too low gate threshold voltages, to reduce Cgs inspired shoot-through.

The current sense resistor runs through a Coilcraft wideband transformer, as a balun, before hitting the diffamp. That really helps.