Volume Pot cleaning Spray

Hi All,

I am look for some to purchase the magic volume pot cleaning spray.

What do you recommend?

and Where to get in  Melb?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray
Dick Smith or Tandy/jaycar knob cleaner ..
Any decent electronics store should have some

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

Thanks for your speedy reply...  I uesd to work for DSE for 5 years in sales
and the sevice department, about 15 years ago.... back then , there was
specific Electrolube  brand for pots.....as some of the other
sprays can damage the pot and leave residues..

I have already searched the DSE web site and the CRC spays come to
light..... however... there is no specific mention,"suitable for Pots".

Do you have a specific brand,   part No, Model name and number of a volume
pot cleaner?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

Herrs and online thread on cleaning pots..
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic ;f=2;t01%6429;p=0

Looks like a may may need to replace these pots..

Joe

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

"Joe G (Home)"
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic ;f=2;t01%6429;p=0

**  Spew inducing drivel

  -    every last word of it.

**  Better replace you pointy head first.

....     Phil

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

Usually the case.

Graham

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

"Eeysore  =  Pig Ignorant Pommy Moron "

** ROTFL

Graham Stevenson would not know if his fat arse were on fire.

.....   Phil

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

Tried cleaning a sealed Alps or Taiwan Alpha pot ?

Graham

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

 "Eeysore  =  Pig Ignorant Pommy Moron "

**  Tried sticking you  head up a dead moose's bum ?

  Wot a steaming great   POMMY   FUCKWIT  !!

.....  Phil

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray
You however would being a bottom

  you know I am right philthy

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

   If Phil was a stray dog he would get the corncob & turpentine
treatment every day,  till he left town.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

I have used CRC 2-26 before without problems, but a purpose made pot
cleaner - if available - is probably preferable..

Of course it wont help if the pot's carbon track is worn out or has a
"dead spot"

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray
Still using the carton I bought at ds  a decade ago. so no cant help
  you know about google ?

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:28:41 +1100, "Joe G \(Home\)"

I use Philips 390CCS Contact Cleaner, part number 4822 389 50125.

It's getting hard to find, but you may still be able to buy it from
Southside Electronics:

http://www.sselectronics.com.au/Productlist.phtml/searchphrase48%2238950125

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

Caig Deoxit Faderlube F5

Your local electronic trade supliers, or www.tradetech.co.nz .  Or
www.caig.com or snipped-for-privacy@caig.com \for Oz distributor

geoff

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

If the 'track' is damaged no amount of spray is going to help you. What
are the symptoms and what is the equipment, type and value of pot ?

Graham

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

If its an audio control, and its 'crackly' that is a sign that its
getting DC current through it.  So its well worth checking any
capacitors around the pot, and ensure they are not leaking DC current.
Old electros are well known to do this.  And after you replace the
electros, you may still have to replace the pot to get rid of the noise.

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

"Adrian Jansen"

** A rather unlikely possibility.

It takes only seconds to apply some spray cleaner/lubricant to the track and
wiper of a " noisy " pot and so **immediately resolve** the question of
whether a particular pot merely dirty.

Like 99% of them ARE  !!!!

So you do that step  FIRST  and only consider other steps if it proves
unsuccessful.

.....    Phil

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

Yes leaky caps can cause a problem, but if you still have to replace the
pot, then DC leakage wasn't the only cause in the first place obviously,
unless the current was enough to destroy the pot. That's not very common
IME.

MrT.

Re: Volume Pot cleaning Spray

:
:> Hi All,
:>
:> I am look for some to purchase the magic volume pot cleaning spray.
:>
:> What do you recommend?
:>
:> and Where to get in  Melb?
:>
:> Thanks in advance.
:>
:> Joe
:>
:>
:If its an audio control, and its 'crackly' that is a sign that its
:getting DC current through it.  So its well worth checking any
:capacitors around the pot, and ensure they are not leaking DC current.
:Old electros are well known to do this.  And after you replace the
:electros, you may still have to replace the pot to get rid of the noise.

Adrian, I note the "design engineer" tag on your post but you don't seem to be
aware of why pots get "crackly". Inside a potentiometer there is a wiper which
makes contact with the resistive element and every time you move the wiper it
attempts to dislodge some of the resistive material. The more oftern the wiper
is moved the more material gets dislodged. It is these dislodged particles of
resistive material which cause the noise in 99% of cases. It is NOT necessarily
(in fact, rarely ever) because they have DC flowing through them.

High quality pots such as Alps etc are costly because they made to resist (no
pun intended) the dislodging of material. That's one reason they are expensive.

Site Timeline