Volume Pot cleaning Spray

Hi All,

I am look for some to purchase the magic volume pot cleaning spray.

What do you recommend?

and Where to get in Melb?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Dick Smith or Tandy/jaycar knob cleaner .. Any decent electronics store should have some

Reply to
atec 7 7

Thanks for your speedy reply... I uesd to work for DSE for 5 years in sales and the sevice department, about 15 years ago.... back then , there was specific Electrolube brand for pots.....as some of the other sprays can damage the pot and leave residues..

I have already searched the DSE web site and the CRC spays come to light..... however... there is no specific mention,"suitable for Pots".

Do you have a specific brand, part No, Model name and number of a volume pot cleaner?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Herrs and online thread on cleaning pots..

Looks like a may may need to replace these pots..

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

s.motzarella.org...

sales

ume

I have used CRC 2-26 before without problems, but a purpose made pot cleaner - if available - is probably preferable..

Of course it wont help if the pot's carbon track is worn out or has a "dead spot"

Reply to
KR

"Joe G (Home)"

** Spew inducing drivel

- every last word of it.

** Better replace you pointy head first.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Still using the carton I bought at ds a decade ago. so no cant help you know about google ?

Reply to
atec 7 7

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:28:41 +1100, "Joe G \\(Home\\)" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I use Philips 390CCS Contact Cleaner, part number 4822 389 50125.

It's getting hard to find, but you may still be able to buy it from Southside Electronics:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Caig Deoxit Faderlube F5

Your local electronic trade supliers, or

. Or
or snipped-for-privacy@caig.com \\for Oz distributor

geoff

Reply to
geoff

If the 'track' is damaged no amount of spray is going to help you. What are the symptoms and what is the equipment, type and value of pot ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Usually the case.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

** ROTFL

Graham Stevenson would not know if his fat arse were on fire.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Tried cleaning a sealed Alps or Taiwan Alpha pot ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

** Tried sticking you head up a dead moose's bum ?

Wot a steaming great POMMY FUCKWIT !!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If its an audio control, and its 'crackly' that is a sign that its getting DC current through it. So its well worth checking any capacitors around the pot, and ensure they are not leaking DC current. Old electros are well known to do this. And after you replace the electros, you may still have to replace the pot to get rid of the noise.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

"Adrian Jansen"

** A rather unlikely possibility.

It takes only seconds to apply some spray cleaner/lubricant to the track and wiper of a " noisy " pot and so **immediately resolve** the question of whether a particular pot merely dirty.

Like 99% of them ARE !!!!

So you do that step FIRST and only consider other steps if it proves unsuccessful.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes leaky caps can cause a problem, but if you still have to replace the pot, then DC leakage wasn't the only cause in the first place obviously, unless the current was enough to destroy the pot. That's not very common IME.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

: :Joe G (Home) wrote: :> Hi All, :> :> I am look for some to purchase the magic volume pot cleaning spray. :> :> What do you recommend? :> :> and Where to get in Melb? :> :> Thanks in advance. :> :> Joe :> :> :If its an audio control, and its 'crackly' that is a sign that its :getting DC current through it. So its well worth checking any :capacitors around the pot, and ensure they are not leaking DC current. :Old electros are well known to do this. And after you replace the :electros, you may still have to replace the pot to get rid of the noise.

Adrian, I note the "design engineer" tag on your post but you don't seem to be aware of why pots get "crackly". Inside a potentiometer there is a wiper which makes contact with the resistive element and every time you move the wiper it attempts to dislodge some of the resistive material. The more oftern the wiper is moved the more material gets dislodged. It is these dislodged particles of resistive material which cause the noise in 99% of cases. It is NOT necessarily (in fact, rarely ever) because they have DC flowing through them.

High quality pots such as Alps etc are costly because they made to resist (no pun intended) the dislodging of material. That's one reason they are expensive.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

You however would being a bottom

you know I am right philthy

Reply to
atec 7 7

"Ross Herbert" Adrian Jansen

** It's a very deep mystery to sooooo many out there .....
** The wiper mechanism would easily move tiny carbon particles out of the way ( ie like a road grader) - if it were not for the fact that nearly all pots and faders (ie slider pots) are packed with grease to improve the mechanical " feel " when operated.

This grease has the bloody horrible habit of migrating onto the surface of the resistive track AND moving metal parts over time - so mingling with and compacting the carbon dust into a thin layer of *non conductive* gunk.

It is this **gunk** layer that must be removed to restore good operation to a "noisy" pot.

Products like WD40 do it so damn fast and well, it makes your head spin.

** True, not only because leaky electros are nowadays a rarity - but that it is very rare now to see coupling electros subjected to any significant DC voltage at all.

Dual +/- supplies have long been the norm in all ( non valve) audio gear so there is simply no DC voltage to block.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison