solder pot?

I need to tin the ends of about 2000 pieces of 24ga stranded wire (so, about

4000 ends). This is for the wiring harness of an item I manufacture, so I'll need to do this again every few months.

This seems tedious to do with soldering pencil. Is a solder pot the approach that is used commercially? Can anyone with practical experience give me tips as to what features I might find useful or non-useful, tips on best practices, preferred brands, etc.?

Thanks!

Reply to
Walter Harley

Duhhhh.... deja vu. Google is my friend. I already asked this same question, two years ago, and I'm sure the advice I got then still applies. I'd forgotten.

Sorry! Carry on.

Reply to
Walter Harley

If you go that route, which is quite practical, you will need to ensure that you have supplies of a suitable resin flux, as the continued heating of the solder will rapidly oxidise the contents.

Resin fluxes are getting hard to come by in the UK but can be found with a bit of searching, don't know about other parts of the world.

Fume extraction might also be advisable.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I've used solder pot type equipment in manufacturing to install and remove through hole connectors and components. It's just a machine that heats up with electricity with a container of molten solder inside. It has a temperature control also. The neat part is that they have different sized heads for different surface areas of pcbs. You also need Kapton heat tape to mask off parts you don't want removed. The industrial solder pot brand I've seen used is a Hakko 485. I found some in a google search, saw one listed at $6000. It's designed for electronic pcb manufacturing, might be more than you need for tinning wire leads.

Walter Harley wrote:

Reply to
Leslie.Sox