USB Chainsaw - Page 2

Re: USB Chainsaw

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:07:35 -0400, Michael A. Terrell

You don't have one of those 75A usb ports?

Re: USB Chainsaw

   No.  They catch fire way too often. I upgraded to the 1000A version,
but the cables are still on backorder.

Re: USB Chainsaw

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:29:24 -0400, Michael A. Terrell

It's real hard soldering the 000 wire into those little connectors.  When I
use my computer's front panel ports, the computer keeps tipping over.

Re: USB Chainsaw

it

   Duh!  You have to use contact cement to hold it to the desk.! ;-)

Re: USB Chainsaw

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 13:07:41 -0400, Michael A. Terrell

current it

The concrete fasteners to the floor were overkill?

Re: USB Chainsaw

Get a clue!   Instead of using a bigger cable to carry more electrons
at a time, you should try overclocking your motherboard so that you
can push them _faster_

Re: USB Chainsaw

Rare-earth crystals supporting your cable will make it conduct better.
Works for hi-fi...

geoff

Re: USB Chainsaw

maybe I can find one of them thar turbocharged cables

Re: USB Chainsaw

[...]

It would be handy for spot-welding modules together.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm having a BIG BANG
                                  at               THEORY!!
Re: USB Chainsaw

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:07:35 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

It's not quite that bad.

0.0034/0.5 = 0.0068

0.0068 * 24 * 60 = 9.79 minutes per day (at full HP!).

One of the 36V nanophosphate packs (A123 cells) should do it.

Re: USB Chainsaw

Only if it enumerates as a high-power device.

-a

Re: USB Chainsaw
also:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-a-male-to-a-male-cable.html

some devices (eg PCs running linux) can (optionally) behave like usb devices
or like hosts and to connect them (as a device) to another host you'd need
an AM-AM cable,

I've never tried it, just seen the option "usb widget support" in ther kernel

Re: USB Chainsaw

There is no mechanism for transfering data directly between USB host
controllers. You can't connect one PC USB host port to a second PC and do
anything useful. Some controllers (not PC ones) ate OTG controllers which
means they can switch role from host to device but the OTG spec has its own
set of connectors and cables (there is an extra signal IIRC that designates
which end is the default host). An 'A' to 'A' cable would require a device
in the middle that appears as such to each of the hosts and defines some
means to pass data across.

I'm guessing that "usb widget support" for Linux means that the Linux system
has a USB device port and that a PC, or whatever, USB host can control it. A
photoframe might be an example of that.

Peter

Re: USB Chainsaw

Yes, the ability to switch roles (OTG or otherwise) is first a
hardware capability, which then needs to be supported in the operating
system's USB implementation.  The palm pre for example is believed to
have hardware which could be OTG capable (unless precluded by some
detail of PCB layout or PHY hookup) but the current software operates
only in device mode.

USB "gadget" is a linux device-side interface system often used in
embedded linux systems to emulate a USB mass storage device (point it
at a local partition or image file), provide a network interface over
USB, etc or I believe in the latest version potentially a
combination.

I haven't looked into it, but I think that in an OTG device "gadget"
would only handle the device mode - you'd switch it it host mode at a
lower driver level and it would presumably then behave like the linux
USB host implementation.

Re: USB Chainsaw

**Nice. I can finally dump my old fashioned, 2kW electric chainsaw.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: USB Chainsaw

But how often do you use it to cut down miniature plastic trees?

MrT.

Re: USB Chainsaw

**Ah, it's all about the duty cycle.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: USB Chainsaw

Umm, punctuation?
I personally don't know any telemarketer that would threaten anything if
I had a USB chainsaw.

umm2, are they still a telemarketer if they are standing in your presence?

<more coffee, more coffee, more coffee>

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: USB Chainsaw

Op Thu, 09 Jul 2009 03:52:37 +0200 schreef terryc

The telemarketer has the USB chainsaw, not you.  He is likely to need some
activity to vent his anger, which combined with a USB chainsaw could be
rather dangerous.  Perhaps not to his prey, but dangerous nonetheless.

Depends wheter you are a colleague or prey, but that has nothing to do
with the point.

http://www.opera.com/mail /

Re: USB Chainsaw

Has anyone been able to get a libusb based driver working for it?

Site Timeline