US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Oct 27, 2010 6:52 AM (1 hour ago)
US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Sweating copper, chasing fibre.

US telecommunications vendor Ikanos this week released NodeScale Vectoring which
it claimed could deliver broadband
speeds of 100 Mbps over existing copper digital subscriber line (DSL) networks.

"Ikanos' NodeScale Vectoring technology will deliver the performance of fibre at
one-tenth the cost of
fibre-to-the-home," said John Quigley, CEO and president at Ikanos.

The technology analysed interference between paired copper lines and created
"compensation signals" that cancelled out
noise, Ikanos explained.

ZTE Corporation was demonstrating its first NodeScale equipped DSLAM this week
at the Broadband World Forum in Paris,
France.

Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) also trotted out its new "phantom" noise-cancelling
DSL technology, which it claimed could
deliver speeds 850 Mbps over 400 metres and 750 Mbps over 500 metres of "bonded
copper".

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/236611,us-telco-claims-100-mbps-on-copper.aspx

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

My goodness me, what on earth will they *use* it for?
What will the Labor idiots spend the money on instead?

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

from

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Ikanos-Unveils-100-Mbps-DSL-You-Probably-Wont-Ever-See-111097?nocomment=1

While lab tests of faster DSL technology are well and good, most of this
technology will take years to leave the lab, *requires multiple pairs
the average home may not have*, and *like all DSL -- will remain highly
distance constrained* -- making it all-but-useless for the millions of
U.S. residents on long loop lenths.

Nice lab experiment but probably useless in practice.

500 metres? So, if you can't piss on the exchange from your house, then
you're out of luck.

There are all sorts of quirky schemes to wring the last drop out of
copper lines, but few, if any, will ever be put into practice.

Its like those competitions where they get a WiFi connection over 50Km,
technically interesting but useless in practice.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Ikanos-Unveils-100-Mbps-DSL-You-Probably-Wont-Ever-See-111097?nocomment=1

What do you need 100Mbps for anyway, idiot?

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

So you resort to name calling because someone points out
your so called solution is blatantly inferior to fibre
optic?.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Solution for *what*? Exactly.

PS: You too can earn a title. It's easy.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Surely your attention span isn't that short.

Meaningless drivel...... you sound like a Telstra shareholder
desperately wishing the NBN would go away

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Yes it is.

Why do we need 100Mbps?

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Even if it takes 1 more year in the lab and 1 more year to get in
production/field test and 2 more years to deploy it will beat the NBN.

VHDSL already runs at 100Mbit symetrical at 250m, and 50Mbit at 500m
and 25Mbit at 1000m.  The new schemes double those distances.

ADSL2+ has the DSLAM installed in the exchange,  VHDSL is designed to
be also allow installation in the street box.(to get closer to the
customer)

The coalitions 5.5 billion policy for guranteeing 12Mbit involved
simply upgrading the old exhanges, installing a fibre backbone and
putting in VHDSL in the street some instances.  (about 1.8 billion of
the cost, the rest being satelite and Wireless)

The new tech would now allow the coalitions policy to probably
gurantee a minium of 25Mbit symetrical (worst case) and up to 100Mbit
for the same cost.  Probably a few billion extra would close the gap
to guranteeing nearly 100Mbit for everyone.

The new technology now means that folks 2km from the exchange can get
30Mbit not just those 1.0km and those at 4km can now get 12-15Mbit.

For those greater than 2km from the exchange (very few in number)  the
DSLAM can be installed at the streetbox.

*requires multiple pairs

Do you think that fibre breakout boxes will be installed in the
streetboxes or only at the exchange?

I would say there is a shit heap of work to be done near or at the
streetboxes with fibre so there is no disasdvantage to VHDSL at the
streetbox versus fibre.  Either way you've got to frig armount at the
streetbox.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Nope, because that 100Mbps nees more than one copper pair and the
distance you get anything like 100Mbps over is nothing like whats needed.

No it doesnt on a single copper pair.

Yes, but we have chose not to go for FTTN.

And even you should have noticed that they arent the govt.

Nope, because it uses more than one pair.

for everyone.

Nope, because there just arent enough copper pairs for that.

Nope, because there arent enough pairs.

Thats another lie.

And the street cables certainly dont have.

only at the exchange?

Doesnt fix the multiple pairs requirement.

More fool you, there arent the copper pairs.

Thats FTTN, we have decided not to go that route.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

We?

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

The country, stupid.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

'The country' had a design meeting? When and where did this occur?

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Nope, we did the usual, those providing the comms infrastructure decided not to
go that route.

Clowns like you get to like that or lump it.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper
to go that route.

Except in South Brisbane eh?

Clowns eh?

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

to go that route.

There is fuck all FTTN in BrizVegas.

Fuckwit clowns in fact.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Your a lying incompetant idiot.

VHDSL2+ is a long existing standard offering 250Mbits over 400m right
now.

Remaining lies snipped

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

ADSL2+ can do 20mbs, how many actually get any where near that?

And there's a reason for that.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

I can't use all my available download speed now. there are heaps of slow
servers about.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

ADSL 2+ release "M" can do 30Mbit download and 3.6Mit upload up to 1km
(maybe more if the line is good).  Around 15Mbit at 2km and 6 Mbit at
4km.  Something called a loop extender can double that for remote
customers.

If more is needed VHDSL can provide 100Mbit at 250m and 50Mbit at 500m
and 25Mbit at 1000m (symetrical) rolling of as for ADSL 2+ after
that.  VHDSL is designed for installation in the streetbox rather than
the exhange to get close to the customer.

Site Timeline