Toaster help

I KNOW this is a risky topic here . . please do your best to refrain from abusing anyone, making reference to abusing anyone or making reference to abuse by anyone!

I have a not-old Sunbeam Model A3220 Toaster that has ceased working (unless I press down hard on the handle). It turns out the solenoid that holds a hook that holds the toast "carriage" down doesn't operate (though it seems to have continuity). Does anyone know the board? Does anyone know if there is a common fault on the board?

There is a component marked TH (with 204 on it) that could be a thermistor. It appears to be open circuit, so could be the problem, I guess. There are a coupe of diodes, several transistors, a rheostat and a couple of capacitors, so it is quite simple - though probably beyond me. I haven't yet removed and replaced any parts but thought I'd see if anyone knows the circuit first.

Any expernience/knowledge? Our last toaster was electro/thermo/mechanical with no electronics at all.

Thanks folks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 10:39:41 GMT, "Dave" put finger to keyboard and composed:

An NTC thermistor will have a high resistance when cold, and a low resistance when hot.

Test the active components with a DMM.

Otherwise here are some useful resources:

Small Household Appliances repair FAQ:

Results of US patent search:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Was this aimed at Phil Allison ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks Franc, I'd found the first one but in all my use of Google, i was not aware of the Patents datatbase . . thanks very much.

dave

Dave

Because of the size and location of the mains voltage board, I treated it with respect. After a bit of testing of individual components I couldn't find any electronic component obviously faulty.

Eventually it transpired that whilst the thing would toast when firmly held down (i.e. power was applied to the elements and circuit board), any slight movement "un-applied" voltage to the circuit board whilst the element was still powered, so the solenoid dropped out. It turned out that a post holding a primary contact was slightly bent and a reliable connection couldn't be made.

I'm not sure that this clarifies the issue for readers, but it is a weak electro-mechanical point in this toaster.

Thanks to those who replied.

dave

Reply to
Dave

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:02:23 +1100, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

Sorry, those URLs appear to be valid only for my particular session.

This is the search URL:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar