Toaster help

I KNOW this is a risky topic here . . please do your best to refrain from
abusing anyone, making reference to abusing anyone or making reference to
abuse by anyone!

I have a not-old Sunbeam Model A3220 Toaster that has ceased working (unless
I press down hard on the handle).  It turns out the solenoid that holds a
hook that holds the toast "carriage" down doesn't operate (though it seems
to have continuity).  Does anyone know the board? Does anyone know if there
is a common fault on the board?

There is a component marked TH (with 204 on it) that could be a thermistor.
It appears to be open circuit, so could be the problem, I guess. There are a
coupe of diodes, several transistors, a rheostat and a couple of capacitors,
so it is quite simple - though probably beyond me.  I haven't yet removed
and replaced any parts but thought I'd see if anyone knows the circuit
first.

Any expernience/knowledge?  Our last toaster was electro/thermo/mechanical
with no electronics at all.

Thanks folks.

Dave

Re: Toaster help
finger to keyboard and composed:

An NTC thermistor will have a high resistance when cold, and a low
resistance when hot.

Test the active components with a DMM.

Otherwise here are some useful resources:

Small Household Appliances repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/appfaq.htm

Results of US patent search:
http://www.google.com/patents?as_q=toaster&num20%&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_pnum=&as_vt=&as_pinvent=&as_pasgnee=sunbeam&as_pusc=&as_pintlc=&as_ptype11%&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is20%08&as_maxm_is=1&as_maxy_is20%08&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=1&as_miny_ap20%08&as_maxm_ap=1&as_maxy_ap20%08

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6dls2n

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Toaster help
Thanks Franc,
I'd found the first one but in all my use of Google, i was not aware of the
Patents datatbase . . thanks very much.

dave

http://www.google.com/patents?as_q=toaster&num20%&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_pnum=&as_vt=&as_pinvent=&as_pasgnee=sunbeam&as_pusc=&as_pintlc=&as_ptype11%&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is20%08&as_maxm_is=1&as_maxy_is20%08&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=1&as_miny_ap20%08&as_maxm_ap=1&as_maxy_ap20%08

Re: Toaster help
On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:02:23 +1100, Franc Zabkar

Sorry, those URLs appear to be valid only for my particular session.

This is the search URL:
http://www.google.com/advanced_patent_search

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Toaster help

Was this aimed at Phil Allison ?

Graham

Re: Toaster help
Because of the size and location of the mains voltage board, I treated it
with respect. After a bit of testing of individual components I couldn't
find any electronic component obviously faulty.

Eventually it transpired that whilst the thing would toast when firmly held
down (i.e. power was applied to the elements and circuit board), any slight
movement "un-applied" voltage to the circuit board whilst the element was
still powered, so the solenoid dropped out.  It turned out that a post
holding a primary contact was slightly bent and a reliable connection
couldn't be made.

I'm not sure that this clarifies the issue for readers, but it is a weak
electro-mechanical point in this toaster.

Thanks to those who replied.

dave