To Find Broken Items

As in stuff that more likely would be thrown out then used
or repaired.

Anyone know where one can go to find items that are more likely
to end up in the bin then fixed?

I'm after a video camera which fits this position to take apart and
have a look inside.

In fact anything like that including any kind of brick style mobile
phone or such if anyone has any destined to be thrown out......
Preferably here in SA too...

email me

snipped-for-privacy@internode.on.net

Re: To Find Broken Items

Actually forget that just if anyone can recommend a place I
might be able to get to.

Re: To Find Broken Items

The rubbish dump is usually good. Its amazing the things people throw out.
But be careful of getting hooked and becoming a 'dump rat'.

Ross

Re: To Find Broken Items

I've been to one of our local tips a couple of times
while dumping other stuff in the trailer.

Is it illegal to take stuff from a dump? Because when I
tried to cart off a CRO I got told off, so I let it go
and got back in the car.

Re: To Find Broken Items

AFAIK the guys that run the tip usually have "salvage rights", try offering
them 5 bucks or alternately don't get caught....

Check out local councils - in Perth one council shire separates the slops
from the hardgoods. All the good stuff is put to oneside and is open to
offers - at least it used to be (Balcatta baling plant on Balcatta Rd).

I heard the other day that you can buy scrap back from the "cash for crap"
places at a per kilo price. These guys sometimes have electromechanical bits
n pieces.

rob

Re: To Find Broken Items

Ever since people were able to make a living from tip stuff,
One person I know made a living soley from all the local tips and
became very rich,rich enough to retire at 40 and he protested all the
way when it was made illegal,nothing could stop him,good on him I
recon.

Out this way if you pick it up tip owner's will charge you as most as
possible for it as you touched it ,it is worth something...ha ha.

$20 for a fridge that don't work,com'on it was going to be crushed for
scrap.not worth $20 as scrap.

I can't offer advise where to find this stuff as it is all worth money
now,little of it,high demand from people like yourself!

Re: To Find Broken Items

Council clean-up days are good, although it's usually large items like
old TV's, stereos, stoves, fridges, washing machines that kind of
thing.
The last year or two has seen a proliferation of 15" and even 17"
computer monitors.

A lot of people go around the streets systematically and collect stuff,
to re-sell probably...

Companies (and schools/Uni's) usually throw away tons of stuff too,
although to get those you usually have to know someone. Some of the
stuff our company throws out (or attempts to throw out) is mind
blowing.

Dave :)

Re: To Find Broken Items

David L. Jones furiously typed the following on 24/11/2005 3:26 PM:

Universities are excellent for all sorts of stuff, especially office
equipment and computer bits (everything from full systems down to old
hard to get bits) and you can pick up the odd video camera, speaks and
PA units from time to time!

Sometimes they "auction" them for next to nothing - about a yr ago from
UniNSW, I got 2 filing cabinets (4 draw - $20 each!) and a PIII with the
works and a SCSI card for $50...   ...they only stipulate that u come
get it urself is all, and thats not a problem for most people!

--Cheers, Richard

Re: To Find Broken Items

I'll ring around you actually gave me an idea and I'll
try places like gray's auctions but I don't think they
sell stuff that is bin quality and I'd hate to open a
camera that is in working order.

Re: To Find Broken Items

[snip]

Auction houses usually have to pay someone to take away the stuff that gets
no bids.  They may be pleased to give it to you, though you might have to
agree to take away more stuff than you want.  Also if you find a rubbish
tip where you can pick up things without getting in trouble, you should
find all sorts of stuff there.

Chris

Re: To Find Broken Items

I scored two CRO's (one a 100MHz Tek) from Maquarie Uni physics
department, they were literally going in the dumpster *gasp*

Dave :)

Dave :)

Re: To Find Broken Items

Don't they realise the value of these items?

Re: To Find Broken Items

Even if they do it takes time and effort to sell them, so it's easier
to just bin them. Project funding comes around again next year!
A lot of them wouldn't know how or who to sell them too anyway.
I had to stop a company I worked for from trashing hundreds of
thousands of dollars worth of Silicon Graphics workstations, because a
project folded and they were taking up space. I convinced them to keep
them as I knew we'd them, and what do you know, six months later they
had a need for them again for a new project.

Dave :)

Re: To Find Broken Items

John furiously typed the following on 25/11/2005 9:56 AM:

They dont care - with student union fees and govt grants - unis have to
be "up-to-date" all the time - so the old stuff goes and the new stuff
comes in...

...and because unis and the govt have to be seen to not profiting from
the education, not making it a profit business they sell things at the
min to get rid of there, and I think the capital loss is a nice tax
write-off!  :-P

--Richard

Re: To Find Broken Items

go to your nearese electronics repair shop and ask there you may be lucky to
get an item that has been bought infor repair and the item is not repairable
you may be lucky.we get a lot of cameras for repair that are not repairable
for price quoted.
we are then told to keep for bits.
It is worth a try.

Re: To Find Broken Items

Well I got something for my troubles..........

When going down to the service agent for my BenQ screen I asked
them if they ever get any video cameras because as it turns out the
people authorized to service BenQ here also do TVs, computers,
microwaves, and other electronic items.

Anyway for my troubles I received a Sony CCD TR55E which they
said they haven't yet opened or dismantled but am told that is was
faulty..

Trying now to figure out the best way to have a peek inside without
breaking anything so it can be put back together but before that I will
try it out with a power supply and battery...

Site Timeline