Self clocking protocol for micro debugging?

Hi, Tried googling on this, but predictably everything is way too complex.
I'm looking for a simple, low speed (few hundred b/s would do it)
self-clocking protocol that I can use to dump debugging data from tiny
micros that are under test. Single line, tolerant to uncertain clock
frequencies and not too complex because the Tx end doesn't have huge amounts
of program memory available. Any suggestions before I go and develop my own?

Re: Self clocking protocol for micro debugging?

if your clock is reasonably stable you could probably use
asynchrononous serial (like rs-232)?
the worse you clock is the fewer data bits you can fit.

morse code?

what attaches to the other end of the wire?

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Self clocking protocol for micro debugging?

Morse code?
not that silly.

you can do a lot with a single output pin, a LED and a resistor.
Was what I used for many years to debug micros.

or spit a serial stream at a serial LCD, if you want some sort of dump.
let the serial lcd gobble up most of the hard coding, and memory
overhead. but then, this may not confirm to your uncertain clock
frequencies.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Self clocking protocol for micro debugging?

. . .

. . .

Indeed. Look how some people have got their hands on the firmware for
a device like a  camera by  managing to load into it their own program
which does nothing more than blink some existing LED indicator. EG
"Hardware-software solution" at
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Porting_the_CHDK (Canon cameras).

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Self clocking protocol for micro debugging?

Freescale (ex Motorola) BDM perhaps? I have no idea whether you would
consider that to be too complex though.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Self clocking protocol for micro debugging?

Dallas/Maxim 1-Wire would have to be a good choice here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Wire
Should be plenty of code available for your chosen device and
language.

Dave.

Re: Self clocking protocol for micro debugging?

Manchester
LIN - just use the basics, not the whole shebang.

Site Timeline