Replacing batteries in Phillishave

Hi Group,

I have a 7 year old Phillishave (Philips shaver) which doesn't hold its
charge very well any more.  I opened it up to check what type of
batteries it uses, in the hope that I can simply replace them, and save
myself severla hundered dollard on a new one.

The batteries are AA size nicad's.  They don't specifically say that
they are 1.2v.  Is it safe to assume that if they're AA size, they're
1.2v?  I guess I could check the voltage when they have a full charge.

Would there be a problem with recharging if I replaced them with NiMH
batteries?  If there will, most stockists no longer carry nicad's.
Where would I find a couple of new ones?

Thanks,

Re: Replacing batteries in Phillishave

I've changed the batteries in mine to NiMH AAs and it worked ok. It says on
the circuit board under the batteries to replace them only with NiCads. The
only side effect I found is that the shaver still runs *long* after the
indicator says it's flat. I haven't actually timed it but I think it's
several weeks of daily use. The only real problem with this is that it gives
an annoying beep every time you turn it off.

Jaycar would have Nicads as well as NiMHs with tabs that should solder
straight in.

Michael

Re: Replacing batteries in Phillishave

Pretty save to assume they are AA Nicads.

Jaycar have a full range of Nicads, even the solder tab types.
Use Nicads, they have a lower internal resistance than NiMH. This could
be an important requirement for the motor in the shaver.

Dave :)

Re: Replacing batteries in Phillishave

snipped-for-privacy@chance.com says...
Thanks very much Michael and David.  Your replies give me new
confidence.  I'll stick to the NiCads though, as most times when I try
to 'enhance' something, it breaks. :-)

Re: Replacing batteries in Phillishave

Mine has been running probably 2 years now on 2000mAh NiMHs. For $10 it's
probably worth it.

Michael

Re: Replacing batteries in Phillishave

I also replaced the batteries in mine with NiMh ones of greater
mAh capacity several years ago with no problems and no bonus
additional running time. Get the solder tag ones from Jaycar.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Replacing batteries in Phillishave

No additional running time? That's odd, mine goes longer after the indicator
says it's flat than it does before it says it flat. It takes about a week to
say it's flat and about another 2 to actually go flat.

Michael

Site Timeline