Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

Yep, I did it. My favourite T-shirt (a black one) managed to collect a
fair bit of white thermal transfer compound (Unick, FWIW). I removed
most with metho, but there's still a fair old stain that seems resistant
to removal. Naturally, SWMBO gave me the usual "I told you to wear an
apron" nonsense.

Any clues on the best method to restore 'black boy' to his original
condition?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

Isopropyl alcohol might do it.
Bunnings, Jaycar.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

Jaycar actually state "stain removal in the laundry"

===========================
Isopropyl Alcohol 99.8% Spray

Isopropyl alcohol is one of the most useful service aids you can have around. It has many of uses such as head cleaning,
surface cleaning and prep, contact cleaning, stain removal in the laundry etc. It's also a medical-grade surface
disinfectant and is ideal for cleaning your windscreen before you put your new rego label on. Easy to use pump pack
spray bottle & dries quickly.

99.8% concentration
250ml bottle
===========================

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

What rego label ?
various states have discontinued them.

  Easy to use pump pack

Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

Just quoting from the Jaycar web page.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA1066

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

Anything you put on it is likely to bleach or discolour the whole area to
some degree.

Maybe try bleaching the whole she-bang white ?

geoff

Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

according to the MSDS  Unick thermal grease is a silicone grease
(dimethyl polysiloxane) plus a metai-oxide particulate (zinc oxide).

deal to the grease with a hydrocarbon solvent like kerosene, and then wash the
particulate (and herosene residue) out with an ordinary laundry detergent and
the hottest water allowed in the laundry instructions. (or just try
some non-grit hand cleaner)

zinc oxide will dissolve in weak acids like dilute hydrochloric acid, vinegar,
or possibly even soda water, so that may be a way to clear up the last traces.

If you don't want to follow the instructions of a bunch of internet
bozos, make it someone elses problem: have it drycleaned.

--
?? 100% natural

Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

The drycleaners? I don't trust them.

Seriously, though, the drycleaner would cost more than a new t-shirt.
I'll pop down to Rivers, next time they have a sale on.

--

But you said it was your favorite T-shirt?  :)

Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

**Not anymore. Black boy #2 is my favourite now.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

Each to their own!  :)

Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

**Noooooooooooooooo. Not black boy.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

Perhaps white spirits (coles, woolies, bunnings.....)

If it doesn't take out the stain, at least it wont harm your shirt.

Soak it in Napisan or Oxywash (?)

Site Timeline