Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder - Page 2

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

The easiest and best quality solution is a *quality* USB microphone like
this Samson C01U:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-SAMSON-C01U-USB-CONDENSER-MICROPHONE_W0QQitemZ110354740464QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Pro_Audio?hash=item110354740464&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms66%%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It's pretty much the microphone of choice for podcasters.
Just plug into your USB port and away you go with any free recording
software. I use and like Audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
But there are probably simpler ones to use for just basic recording.
Don't pay for software like this, plenty of free stuff.
Record direct to MP3 if you need to save disk space.

A microphone that costs any less than this will be pretty crap, and anything
that plugs into the "microphone" input on your computer is worse than crap.

Dave.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

Is that because there is something wrong with the microphone input on
all sound cards, there is some technical problem with making the
microphone or just because nobody actually sells one?

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

It's because most microphone input circuits on notebook and desktop PC's are
a lousy design, designed for basic phone voice quality only. Very noisy.
Some are better than others, but in almost every case you will get a MUCH
better result using an external low noise pre-amp and the audio Line-In
port. But that's messy, the USB mic I posted is a much simpler solution, one
cable, needs no external supply, and it has a quality studio mic and pre-amp
built in.

Dave.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

"Ian"

**  Newsgroups and on-line audio forums get this dumb question regularly.

And it is always from some fuckwit with no idea what the hell they are
asking.

Recording a person addressing a meeting is NO  simple matter -  if you want
a good sounding result that others will be happy to listen to later or to be
used for radio broadcast.

** That will not record anything.

** Useless on it own too.

What you need to actually do depends on all manner of details that YOU have
not provided.

And if you are like all the other wankers with this same, dumb question -
you never will provide them.

......   Phil

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

:Win XP Home
:
:I am a member of a Parkinsons Support Group.
:We occasionally have a guest spdeaker who we
:would like to record for future use.
:
:My idea is to use a laptop, at the right price and
:the software to suit.
:
:Another alternative put forward was use a  tape recorder.
:
:Any  ideas appreciated...Ian

As Phil has said, recording speeches in a public forum is not a simple thing to
do. And particularly so if you want the recording to be fairly professional and
used as a future training reference.

You can read what others have to say on the subject.
http://www.questiontools.org/newsrecordingspeech.html (first sentence in summary
says it all)

http://www.alexsbrown.com/record-equip-speakers.html
http://www.spectrum.uni-bielefeld.de/~gibbon/gibbon_handbook_1997/node124.html

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

"Ross Herbert"

**  Here it is:

Summary
Recording speech to a professional standard is difficult. Now you have read
this article you will probably begin to appreciate why. You might think that
recording musical instruments is even more difficult. As it happens, the
reverse is true. Most experienced studio engineers will tell you that
recording a brass section, a string ensemble or a guitar played through an
amplifier at full volume can be much easier than recording speech.

......    Phil

Site Timeline