Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

Win XP Home

I am a member of a Parkinsons Support Group.
We occasionally have a guest spdeaker who we
would like to record for future use.

My idea is to use a laptop, at the right price and
the software to suit.

Another alternative put forward was use a  tape recorder.

Any  ideas appreciated...Ian

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

In both cases, it would be well worth investing in a decent external
microphone. Also, buy a headphones and set the recording level manually.
Automatica recording levels can pick up a pile of extraneous noise,
especially if they are a quite speaker.

The problem with a laptop are;
1) disk space. About 1G for an hour,
2) conversion to a format that people can play back (mp3?)
3) Or were you planning on converting to CD and distrubting talk that way
(probably easiest)
4) You will probably need a laptop or conversion computer with 1Gb of
ram, aka it will run significantly faster if the whole audio file can be
held in ram.
5) you might have to buy software

The problem with a tape recorder are;
1) the quality of the tape deck and tapes affect the quality of recording,

2) duplification if using cassette tapes to share the talks. I guess it
is an assumption that these people might be competent in that technology.
2) see problems of laptop if you are going to convert.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

A cheap laptop, cheap microphone, cheap mixer if necessary, and free
software would do the job just fine.
If you are already using sound reinforcement, you will already have
everything necessary bar the laptop or tape recorder anyway.

Depends what format you ultimately want IMO. No way would I record to tape
these days if I want a CD output. And no way would I copy or store cassettes
any more. I doubt anyone will be able to play them soon.

Not a problem at all given hard disk sizes compared to maximum tape lengths!
Definitely a problem for cassette though with 60 minute per side tapes quite
fragile, and 90 minute tapes needing changing every 45 minutes if the
machine is not auto reversing (and those are mostly crap in any case)
And if you only need to record one microphone 44/16 mono works out to
350MB/Hr, double that for stereo, not 1GB. And even less if you record
direct to MP3.

How is that a problem for laptop recording? Most recorders can do it on the
fly if you want, which cuts your disk requirements even further.
And duplicating CD's is far easier than tape, with no further quality loss.

Plenty of free software that will do the job.

MrT.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

snip>

I find Audacity is magic. Easy to learn and use its basic features without
having to understand its advanced features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

While I don't personally use it, Audacity would be my pick of the free
stuff.
More than adequate for the intended purpose.

MrT.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

Now tell him what cpu and ram he will need. That is the gotcha.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

No "gotcha" at all. Almost any computer made in the last 5-10 years can
record CD quality audio with a suitable sound card or adapter.
I had no problem years ago with a Celeron 300MHz and 128MB of RAM. Such
computers can be had for *nothing* at the tip these days :-)
Just what do you *think* is necessary, and why?

MrT.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

So how long a recording have you made and edited with this 300Mhz/128Mb
of ram computer?

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

Any decent sound recorder/editor software (like Audacity) will record direct
to disk and is only limited by your hard drive size.
16bit 44K raw mono recording of a single mic would only be about 5MB/minute.

See:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recording_length

Older versions of Audacity have a 13.5hour recording limit.

If for some reason you have problems editing the single recording, it's
trivial to split it up and work on smaller pieces seperately.

So Mt.T is right, there is no "gotcha". Any old machine you can get for free
can easily record and edit almost any length of high quality audio.
Heck, I've even edited hours of full PAL *video* on an old ($50 years ago)
800MHz celeron.

Dave.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

so, what do you use to split it?

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

I've rarely had to do it, but Audacity does it without any problem, and so
should any other decent recoding/edit program:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Splitting_recordings_into_separate_tracks
or type "audio file splitter" or whatever into Google for countless free
tools that will also do it.

This is really basic stuff, what archaic tool have you been using?

Dave.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

audacity.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

Ah, PEBKAC then.

Dave.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

Or problems exist between his ears.
Obviously RTFM would be a waste of breathe.

MrT.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

I say nut behind the keyboard {:-).
I've had one machine handle 60mins file okay, but the quad 450Hz PII with
1Gb or ram died consistently. Rright now,, my /dev/dsp is flat lining, so
I'm head scratching for testing.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

Yep, I did that too on the 300MHz Celeron overclocked to 450MHz!
A little slow in rendering though :-)

MrT.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

Mine was pretty quick - finish editing, start rendering, go to bed, wake up
next morning and it's all done in the blink of an eye! :->

Dave.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

up

:-) :-)
Yeah that's what I often did too.
A real pain if you still wanted to change something though!

MrT.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

As long as will fit on the hard disk. You obviously don't do any recording,
or have only ever used Microsoft wave recorder!

MrT.

Re: Recording Audio to laptop/tape recorder

What about a digital voice recorder (IIRC about $100 at harvey norman??)
perhaps with an external microphone. I think you can pull an mp3 file
directly out of them and burn it to disk later.

Site Timeline