Re: Australian Dollar just walked through 1.07AUD to the USD exchangerate.

Thats just plain wrong. They all survived the GFC because they
werent allowed to do what the stupid yanks allowed theirs to do.

Same thing happened with Canada too, not one of their retail banks
imploded spectularly or even needed to bailed out by govt either.

Not in plenty of other places too.

Re: Australian Dollar just walked through 1.07AUD to the USD exchangerate.

But that probably included a service charge of $15 or so - that's the
way the banks generally get you with things like that.
--
Sell your surplus electronic components at http://ozcomponents.com
Search or browse for that IC, capacitor,

accounts, to buy USD200 in cash, they wanted
airport, not your local bank.

I don't think that is true. I believe that the reason the Australian
banks survived the GFC and retained their credit ratings was because
they are tightly regulated. APRA even reviewed their mortgage exposure
_before_ the GFC. There has been bipartisan support for this policy
and successive governments have strengthened it and broadened it to
include other financial institutions. Contrast this with the extremes
of deregulation as evidenced in Iceland.

Site Timeline