Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London - Page 13

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I spent a tidy sum for a daisywheel ("true letter quality") printer with
a built-in print buffer--basically a Brother that a third-party company
had rigged up and resold.  About $800 in the early 80s--a couple of years
after the IBM-PC came out, and it was _highly_ affordable compared to
what the lowest daisywheel printer prices had been a year or two earlier
(as in twice the price for a reconditioned, though admittedly heavier-
duty one).

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the Brother printer was basically a Brother
typewriter mechanism that they had lightly re-engineered into a printer.
It worked perfectly for years; I eventually gave it away after I got a
laser printer.

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

it allowed you to buffer printer data, so you could use the PC for
something else. This would have been in the days of DOS when there was
no multitasking.

One example would be that  I can clearly remember a colleague who was
frequently printing out something like cad, schematic, PDF or similar
files in 1991 on some sort of laser or very high quality printer.  He
used a surplus XT computer (which ran about 4-8 MHZ)  to buffer the
print file, send it to the printer etc.

To process and print these files took some 4 hours to do, and this way
the second PC (XT) could handle it all, leaving the main PC free to
perform other tasks.

I don't remember how much memory the XT machine had back then, but Im
fairly sure it was 640k (0.64MB).

The Dontronics printer buffer was a lifesaver in that it would connect
between the printer port on the PC and the printer, rapidly (by the
standards of back then) collect the data from the printer port by
"pretending" to be a printer, store this data it in its internal RAM
then slowly feed it out to the printer as the printer requested it.
It was also affordable to the average tech minded hobbyist of the time
at around $100 for the kit IIRC, where a second PC would be out of the
question as to affordability.

As printers back then also didnt have much (if any)  in the way of
ram, and printed much more slowly than now, this meant that the print
job could proceed directly from the printer buffer without the PC
being held up performing this task.  Nowadays printers have
substantial ram and Windows/Linux etc contain sufficient memory and
processor speed to handle all this in the background.

For example a dot matrix printer (most common type in use) could take
5-10 seconds to print a line of text, if you had many pages to print,
your program could be sitting tied up doing this function for a
significant time (and you couldn't use the machine) if you had to
print out a report of many pages without the printer buffer.

(It would be like now if you were printing a high res image onto A4
photo paper at the highest resolution and quality and the PC was
"locked" during this whole process for several minutes.)

Daisy wheel ones were probably faster, but limited to alphanumeric
characters only (like mechanical typewriters).
None of this gear was in any way cheap to buy.

It is a very different world now.

I think our PBUFF had around 1mb in it. It used computer ram sticks,
of a type you don't see anymore, they had pins on them, like a very
long single sided DIP package, but it was a PCB with RAM IC's on it.
(much like now). SIMM or DIMM (Cant remember).

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Sounds like SIMMs (DIMMs are current tech).  Somewhere I have a bunch of
smaller (256K) SIMMs from an old Mac.  I used one as a keychain till the
ICs fell off; I plan to use the others after getting them coated in
Lucite or something similar. -- Joe

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

A SIPP of some sort.  As the Wikipedia article points out, these were
replaced by SIMMs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIPP_memory

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

At times, we used the same memory as the XT PC of the day, which was 30 pad SIMM
Modules:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/memx_2131_284704826

We sometimes soldered pins onto them, so we could insert them into a 30 pin
socket:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-female-header-pins.html

Or simply plug them straight into a suitable socket:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sim-sockx2.html

However most users simply plugged DIP version DRAMs straight into the PBUFF
board, which was designed to accept them.

The SIMMs were just a later alternative to use old XT DRAMs, and-or to build up
the memory capacity of the original
buffer board.

DRAM could be 1, 2, 4, or 8 DIP chips, or 30 pin Simm modules. I think I had 11
memory sizes. So by using a combination
of DIPs and-or SIMMs, you could use your surplus memory chips for somethig
useful.

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Just adding to that, these were fairly rarely used, but I found a picture of the
SIPP package.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Just adding to that, these were fairly rarely used, but I found a picture of the
SIPP package.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SIPP.jpg

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Might have been that type, as I remember that it plugged into a row of
turned pin headers along the edge of the PBUFF board.

They very likely came from one of those surplus parts distributors
that advertised in electronic magazines at the time - that would have
been the sort of source our budget tended to favour at that point in
time - just coming off of 17% home loan rates ;)

Anyway it worked very well for a few years until WIN95 came along and
wasn't needed anymore.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I had forgotten my own work. Too many years. Yes the later version boards had a
row of 30 pins for the SIMM-SIPP type
DRAM memory modules.

I just checked the schematic at:
http://www.dontronics.com/pdf/pbuff_k.pdf

Quoting from my page at:
http://www.dontronics.com/z80.html

"The current Rev. K board has additional provision to
install an alternative 256K/1Mb/4Mb  SIPP/SIMM type MEMORY MODULE. That
means, you can either install standard 16 or 18 pin by 1 bit Drams, or a
MEMORY MODULE. Both 8 byte and 9 byte type MODULES can be used. The software
ignores the ninth byte.

PBUFF Supports a mixture of 64K/256K/1Mb/4Mb DIP/SIMM/SIPP DRAMs in 10
memory sizes up to 4Mb. Supports 64K, 128K, 256K, 320K, 512K, 1024K, 1088K,
1280K, 2048K, and 4096K (4Mb)."

Cheers Don...

===========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Drat, nothing for a Z80 CTC chip.  Still have a box load of these around.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
terryc Inscribed thus:

Dragon...  Anybody...  mmm.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
I hope its worth a lot, as I still have one I built circa 1990 :)

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

Hmmmm.. wonder what I could get for my Vic20..

--
rgds,

Pete
=====

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

Nothing like that, essentially because hordes more of those were made.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

20 years solitary??????

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

A good slapping?

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

Probably nothing - no-one is interested in the Vic 20.
There is one on eBay for $55  - it's been there since July !!!!

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

some interest in the 64, a basic internet connection has been
operated off one. They are easily set up as controllers for
displays. (Amateur versions of traffic displays).

--
greymaus
.