OT: Winge

My ten year old Thinkpad T21 has developed a fault which seems likely to
involve one of the power control chips. Not worth trying to fix.

Why can't they make things that last anymore.

Sylvia.

Re: Winge

Ah, long gone are the days of 7805s in TO-3 packages, which'd last forever.

For that matter, long gone are the days of over-engineering. Everything now
is built right down to the edge of functionality - to both cut costs and to
guarantee death as soon as the warranty expires.

Be thankful it lasted a decade; something of 2014 vintage will be lucky to
see you into 2016.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: OT: Winge

10 years...
You are either joking or showing you age. ;-)

--
:-P

Re: OT: Winge

"Trevor Wilson"

** I have similar recollections, but more like 1 to 2 times a year to fix
our Kriesler 23inch set.

The TV guy was in and out in about 15 minutes and exchanged one or maybe two
valves - the sets were designed for easy valve replacement and valve
deterioration was responsible for over 90% of all troubles.

Solid state sets arrived in the mid 70s ( along with colour) were vastly
more reliable, so much so that the number of TV tech employed dropped to a
small faction.

My last set, a 68cm NEC, lasted over 10 years with no faults, then died
spectacularly.

...  Phil

Re: OT: Winge

Sadly, the new Philips solid date set we rented in the late 70s failed a
couple of days after it was installed with a strange fault that made the
picture a lot wider, and killed the sound. That fault recurred over the
set's life, though I later discovered that it could be corrected by
giving the set a good thump. The alleged technicians never did figure it
out, but when, many years later, I obtained a circuit diagram, it seemed
fairly obvious where the offending loose connection had to be, given the
symptoms. I suspect many techs had little understanding of the equipment
they were repairing.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Winge

You had a TV? Wow!
<how could I ignore such an obvious lead>

Re: OT: Winge
HUH!! sheer luxury !!
I wasn't even allowed inside until 10 years of age !!

Re: OT: Winge

You had a dog? Wow!
<sorry, I plead wet Mondayitis>

Re: OT: Winge
YUP! sadly we fell on bad times and had to eat him.

Site Timeline