OT: Winge

My ten year old Thinkpad T21 has developed a fault which seems likely to involve one of the power control chips. Not worth trying to fix.

Why can't they make things that last anymore.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Ah, long gone are the days of 7805s in TO-3 packages, which'd last forever.

For that matter, long gone are the days of over-engineering. Everything now is built right down to the edge of functionality - to both cut costs and to guarantee death as soon as the warranty expires.

Be thankful it lasted a decade; something of 2014 vintage will be lucky to see you into 2016.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

10 years... You are either joking or showing you age. ;-)
--
:-P
Reply to

** I have similar recollections, but more like 1 to 2 times a year to fix our Kriesler 23inch set.

The TV guy was in and out in about 15 minutes and exchanged one or maybe two valves - the sets were designed for easy valve replacement and valve deterioration was responsible for over 90% of all troubles.

Solid state sets arrived in the mid 70s ( along with colour) were vastly more reliable, so much so that the number of TV tech employed dropped to a small faction.

My last set, a 68cm NEC, lasted over 10 years with no faults, then died spectacularly.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You had a TV? Wow!

Reply to
news13

Sadly, the new Philips solid date set we rented in the late 70s failed a couple of days after it was installed with a strange fault that made the picture a lot wider, and killed the sound. That fault recurred over the set's life, though I later discovered that it could be corrected by giving the set a good thump. The alleged technicians never did figure it out, but when, many years later, I obtained a circuit diagram, it seemed fairly obvious where the offending loose connection had to be, given the symptoms. I suspect many techs had little understanding of the equipment they were repairing.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

HUH!! sheer luxury !! I wasn't even allowed inside until 10 years of age !!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

You had a dog? Wow!

Reply to
news13

YUP! sadly we fell on bad times and had to eat him.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull