OT: Phoenix Lander

An image from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter of the Phoenix lander
landing on Mars the other day, in descent with parachutes deployed.
Very cool photo!

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/230838main_PSP_008579_9020_descent.jpg

Dave.

Re: Phoenix Lander

"David L. Jerkoff"

**  How bloody typical of  DL Jerkoff to post misleading info.

Despite what the pic shows - the Phoenix Lander did not descend into a
crater on Mars.

See the explanation given by NASA:

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu /

......  Phil

Re: Phoenix Lander

wow! great pic, I hadn't seen it. thanks Dave.

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Phoenix Lander

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080525m.html

Re: Phoenix Lander

He had NASA doctor it just to get your goat, Phil.

--
Paul Hovnanian     snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

Wow, what a hole. The ought to name it 'Sydney' (unless they've already
named it of course).

Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

It's called "Heimdall" crater.

Jealousy is a curse you know.

Dave.

Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

Thanks.

Indeed, that's why I've moved as far away as possible...

The more people who actually want to live in such a toilet, the better
from my point of view :)

Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

And you moved the where exactly?

Dave.

Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

St Helens, Tasmania - with all the inbreds.

http://www.bodc.tas.gov.au/site/page.cfm
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=st%20helens&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I /was/ in Kiama, which is about as close to Sydney as I could tolerate.
St Helens makes Kiama look like Mt Druitt by comparison...

Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

LOL!

Dave.

Re: Phoenix Lander

**Really? Who took the photos?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Phoenix Lander
On May 28, 7:03 pm, "Trevor Wilson"

Yeah, it's really cool. One of the coolest space photos ever taken
IMO.

The HiRISE camera aboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu /

But it could have been someone aboard an F-302 with a Nikon, I can't
be entirely sure.

Dave.

Re: Phoenix Lander

"David L. Jones"

** Huh  ???????????????

Two tiny white dots superimposed on what looks like a bomb crater is no cool
pic.

Long, long way from really interesting.

......   Phil

Re: Phoenix Lander
On Wed, 28 May 2008 19:57:00 +1000, "Phil Allison"

---
Every journey begins with a single step.

JF

Re: Phoenix Lander

"Trevor Wilson"

** Usual damn paparazzi  -  of course.

.....    Phil

Re: Phoenix Lander

Phil! You said something funny! Maybe there is hope for you.

Bob
--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==

Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

And a great pic of Phoenix and the scattered hardware on the surface:
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/images/2008/details/cut/PSP_008591_2485_cut_a.jpg

from http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/phoenix-hardware.php

Dave.

Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

"David L. Jones"

** Yuck  - more blurry white dots.

A  great space pic is NOT one of  some NASA craft with a damn * crater *  in
the background.

My idea of a   REALLY  GREAT   space pic would be one showing the Mars
lander with a  * Martian critter *  poking its head up in the background
!!!!!

......   Phil

Re: OT: Phoenix Lander

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/images/2008/details/cut/PSP_008591_2485_cut_a.jpg

Here you go:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Gj_vLfFUI

Unfortunately the critter is too far away so appears as those dreaded blurry
white dots.
Once it gets more curious I'm sure we'll get some better close-up pics, just
like the one the Mars rover got a few years back:
http://www.allhatnocattle.net/Mars%20Rovers.jpg

Dave.

Site Timeline