OT: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

My F&P washing machine was emitting a noise during its emptying cycle
that anyone here would recognise as meaning that the pump bearings were
worn out.

It turns out that the pump can be replaced without any tools whatsoever:
Unplug from the mains, disconnect the pipes from the taps, pull the
waste pipe out of sink and tip the machine on its side (access to the
innards is from underneath). Pull the two power lead spades off the
motor, press a plastic tab to let the motor/pump rotate in its mounting,
and it can be pulled out. Installing the new one is just the reverse.

I wish all repairs were that simple. Nice one F&P.

Sylvia.

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

Presumably then you can obtain the parts without being a registered
technician. Where are they available from?

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

 From the manufacturer's Australian office, amongst others.

There is a legal obligation on manufacturers and importers to make spare
parts available for a 'reasonable period'. They cannot refuse to supply
them to end users.

Well, not yet.

Though I'm sure that there's a regulator somewhere contemplating the
question of whether someone without formal qualification in washing
machine repair is competent to attach a couple of spade connectors,
press a plastic tab, and rotate a motor housing. Self-help is not highly
regarded in Australia these days.

Sylvia.

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

Nanny state thinking, they're trying to help you to not chop an arm
off with that spade terminal.  Spades are dangerous.  Terminal ones
presumably more so ;)

Grant.

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

How much was the replacement motor Sylvia ?

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

$90 plus $15 for delivery. Cheaper than I expected actually, spare part
pricing being what it is.

They can be had a bit cheaper from other suppliers.

Sylvia.

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

That isnt too bad.  I replaced one on my machine about 10 years back
and it was $60 from the local service shop.

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

Not uncommon. Many techs are happy if you do the chasing or parts rather
than them.

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

Though perhaps less happy if you dispense with their services altogther ;)

Sylvia.

Re: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

I pay them for their diagnostic service and thus saving me from complete
or unnecessary replacements.

Re: OT: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

Mind you, it's a shame that the old pump now heads for the tip. I
dismantled it out of interest. It was easy to dissassemble and put back
together, and the bearings, which appear to be bronze, could easily have
been replaced. Nothing else is worn.

I must admit, I didn't ask F&P whether I could obtain just the bearings,
but I'd be very surpised if I could.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

Go to a bearing shop and receive a surprise.

Re: OT: Credit where credit is due: Fisher & Paykel.

Something like this?

http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/item/bsp00500012500100sb/bushesbronzesphericalsintered /

But this one has outside diameter 9mm, inside diameter 5mm, width 7mm.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline