OT: Air conditioner - Page 2

Re: OT: Air conditioner

I don't know what they could do there.  Put a tax on firewood, or on
wood stoves ?
What if you cut the wood yourself or buy it privately ?

Where we are, they have become popular with the high price of
electricity.
From an environmental point of view, even the dirtiest commercial
electricity has to be cleaner
than home wood stoves and heaters.

Then again, as we know, the carbon tax has nothing to do with reducing
pollution, that is just a front
in order to try and get people to accept it

Re: OT: Air conditioner
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 20:14:31 -0700 (PDT), kreed

and the so-called compensation - quoted as $10.10 (per week) for the
mythical average household - just exceeds the mythical projected cost
of living increase of $9.90 p.w. IN THE FIRST YEAR.  Then the 10%
annual indexation of the carbon tax leaves you behind, and getting
"behinder" by the minute thereafter.  Knowing that the vast majority
have long since switched off listening on this tax, I wonder how many
of the voters have actually twigged to this.

Re: OT: Air conditioner

Double-box slow combustion wood-fired heaters have a smaller carbon
footprint than current electrical or natural gas heating systems.
There are also particle emmission regulations (in NSW) to be met if you
are installing one.

Maybe they should be taxing NPWS whenm a bushfire happens.

Re: OT: Air conditioner

Since this article, I have noticed 20kg packs of firewood on sale in
many places including
service stations.  It must be getting popular.

Re: OT: Air conditioner

I've seen portable split systems, instead of copper pipes they use hoses
like automotive air con does,  probably leak like it too.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: OT: Air conditioner

I think I have seen them, the pipes were enclosed in white plastic
sleeving.
Don't know if the 2 halves are in any way detachable by the consumer
without loss of refrigerant though.

Re: OT: Air conditioner

Same. I think they're permanently conected, but it is a split system that
can be installed by the consumer, and reloacted, and taken to a repairer.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: OT: Air conditioner

Wow.  But at least you got a promise for that Friday.  When I tried in
Summer to get someone out to fix my aircond I got told they were too
busy so couldn't attend.  Bugger

So went without over Summer and tried again in Winter.  got told they
are too busy fixing heaters and installing slow combustion heaters, so
couldn't come.

One the disadvantages of living in the country

David

Re: OT: Air conditioner

The refeigerant in them is mixed with the libricant oil, so if it's
leaking oil it's pretty sick and needs attention.

may not be terminal, depends on the cause.

---

Re: OT: Air conditioner

Unfortunately it is - severe corrosion.

Caused by a design flaw that means that driving rain drains into the
condenser compartment, there to be absorbed by the insulation around the
condenser, thus creating the perfect environment for the dreaded oxide
formation.

This is a ten year old Daikin model. The replacement will be of another
brand, 'cos they don't deserve brand loyalty after perpetrating that.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Air conditioner
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:19:34 +1000, Sylvia Else

I couldn't agree more about Daikin - I have had two units die because
geckos got into the exterior unit and died on top of the PCBs. Daikin
will not honour the warranty if the problem is due to 'vermin'.

I would suggest that if vermin are able to access the sensitive bits,
then the product is not fit for purpose and therefor not fit for sale.
However I know that it would be a long and costly process to fight
them.

Dave Goldfinch

Re: OT: Air conditioner

I possibly had a similar problem some years back (on the other example I
have of the model that's failed on me), with a circuit board suffering
some strange component failures, and there was a dead spider present. I
was able to repair the board, fortunately. Daikin never did respond to
my enquiry about the price of a replacement board. Of course, I'll be
salvaging the board from the failed one, so I'll have a spare now.

I agree about the fitness argument. Actually, the small claims tribunals
are not so expensive to use, and you don't need lawyers. If the unit
fails due to vermin entry during its warranty period, I think Daikin, or
any other supplier, would fold as soon as they saw the application to
the tribunal.

Equally, I could go to the tribunal in respect of the corrosion, but on
a ten year old unit, it's questionable how much damage the tribunal
would find I'd actually suffered, even if it found that Daikin was at
fault, and Daikin would likely to be sufficiently stubborn to resist
anything more than a nominal payout beforehand. It doesn't help that
suppliers tend to think (wrongly) that their own warranty period is the
final word on how long their responsibility lasts.

Still, if Daikin are reading this, and want to pacify me with the offer
of a free replacement unit (I'll pay the installation cost), I'm
willing, and I'll then post about how Daikin did the right thing by me :)

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Air conditioner

Syliva is right, in QLD anyway, the small claims process has its
problems but
from what I have seen it is reasonably fair, and the costs are very
small for the consumer.  (on a sliding
scale depending on the claim value.  IIRC $60 for up to a $2000 claim)
There are no solicitors allowed.  IIRC the forms state that the person
must declare if they have
legal qualifications, don't know if that prevents them from using the
tribunal or not.

It is worth looking into, and if it is possible to sit in the public
gallery when a session is on (held in the local magistrates courtroom
here)
and watch, it might be helpful for you to get familiar with the
process.

I saw a similar situation with a friend's LG outdoor compressor/
condenser unit where the PCBs and other electronics
had no satisfactory protection (In my opinion) considering this was to
be used outside.  In this case the electronics were ok as the unit was
located well away from rain, it was just a fan that had failed.

If it is intended to be used outdoors, then there should be vermin
protection, as well as from humidity, larger temperature changes etc.

Re: OT: Air conditioner

Times appear to have changed. I sent an email to a company yesterday,
and they called back this morning, and the guy's been round to give me a
quote this afternoon.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Air conditioner
GEARBOX FOR AIR CONDITIONER APPLICATION
    China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in desig
ning, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are ma
inly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used i
n smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-
transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecomm
unication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in differe
nt sizes.
   In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partn
ers around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right
 choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd
Contact: Annie Liu
Tel?+86-755-27322652
Fax?+86-755-27323949
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com
Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist.,
 Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

Site Timeline