More on historical broadcasting gear

I managed to get hold of the John F Ross book mentioned in an earlier post,
'Radio Broadcasting technology', on an interlibrary loan, so presumably
others in Oz could do the same. It's an interesting read, with a lot of
technical detail and plenty of pics, but fairly bland. Everythying just
works, there's no coverage of the struggles and difficulties that
undoubtedly occurred. I recall someone mentioning to me years ago about some
large Collins HF transmitters installed for Radio Australia that had big
problems.

Some might consider it ghoulish, but you learn a lot from the troublesome
episodes.

Re: More on historical broadcasting gear
I worked there in the early to mid sixties, I dont recall many probs
with 100 KW txers at that time, however I did go back for a visit around
1972 and was told of a possible problem with the main transmitters.
The valve manufactures had ceased production of the PA stage valves
(F124A). They had arranged for another factory to make some on special
order. I think there would be no more after that. I presume they would
have run out by now.

Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070

Site Timeline