Melbourne Nylex sign

Looks like the designers of the "new improved" Nylex sign should have
consulted this forum as to how to wire a few LED's together.

After a clunky start, (and dubiously blaming sattelite allignment for
incorrect time) and only after a few months in operation, I noticed the
other week that the E in NYLEX is no longer working. After a few hundred
thousand dollars in updates, you'd think they'd do better than that!

http://www.oneplusoneequalsthree.com/2005/06/our_nylex_sign_.html

Re: Melbourne Nylex sign

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:07:04 +1000, "Heywood Jablome" <reply to

Why would you run the clock only from the satellite ?  having a local
clock in case of failure would be more sensible, however common sense
doesnt exist anymore.

Re: Melbourne Nylex sign

Exactly , just have a PC synced with a time server

Re: Melbourne Nylex sign

I bet that they do have a local clock, I reckon the satellite allignment
thing was just a bit of an excuse.

Re: Melbourne Nylex sign

A bizarre bit of make believe. Wonder if it was the clock's owners/operators
or the commentators.

Ken

Re: Melbourne Nylex sign

Whats wrong with a realtime clock chip and a micro  with battery backup ?
Have an input from GPS to correct the time when available but no need for a
pc.

Re: Melbourne Nylex sign

Fair call , just thought a PC may do other things if required like remote
control and data aquisition

Re: Melbourne Nylex sign

So can a micro and doesn't use nearly as much power
or need heatsinks etc

Have a look at  www.edtp.com  using pics and avrs for wireless and ethernet.

Site Timeline