Long wave radio

Hey,

On good old days we used to have radio receives with LW, AM, SW bands.
Are there any long wave radio broadcast in Australia (or any where
else)?
Is there any radio on the consumer market with LW,AM,SW bands (Yes,
I'm nostalgic).

Regards,

Roberto

Re: Long wave radio

In the UK, about a year ago I bought a cheap LW/MW/SW/FM radio (mainly
because it was very cheap). There isn't much on LW and what there is seems
to be pretty much swamped by interference.

There seems to be a relentless drive to phase out analogue and bring in DAB,
but its worth noting that a couple of Scandinavian countries have already
abandoned DAB because its a pile of crap!

Re: Long wave radio

"Roberto"

**  Only used for radio navigation beacons ( NDBs )  in Australia.

But still active in much of Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwave#List_of_longwave_broadcasting_transmitters

**  Shame long wave transmissions do not bounce off the ionosphere & around
the world.

.......  Phil

Re: Long wave radio

Might make navigation difficult though :-)

Re: Long wave radio

"Clifford Heath"

 **  But only at night time  ...

....  Phil

Re: Long wave radio

Yet another incorrect claim about RF by philthy.  It most certainly _does_
reflect off the ionosphere, it's just that absorption is very high at those
frequencys too, even at night.  Stick with audio.

Re: Long wave radio

"Anthony Fremont Raving Lunatic "

**   Fuck off   -   Yank psychopath.

......  Phil

Re: Long wave radio

Nice technical rebuttal phil.

Re: Long wave radio

"Anthony Fremont Raving LunaticTROLL  "

**  Fuck off   -   you asinine Yank psychopath.

......  Phil

Re: Long wave radio

Except for a brief period in the 1920s, Australia never used long waves for
broadcast.  This band is used here for aircraft beacons.

Europe uses LW. One transmitter can cover a whole country.

Some portables (designed for the European market) have it.  Check out DSE,
Tandy and the $2 shops - I saw one or two radios with LW only last week.
But note that the LW part is useless in Australia apart from aircraft
beacons, and these really need a receiver covering 150 - 420 kHz.

Site Timeline