Long wave radio

Hey,

On good old days we used to have radio receives with LW, AM, SW bands. Are there any long wave radio broadcast in Australia (or any where else)? Is there any radio on the consumer market with LW,AM,SW bands (Yes, I'm nostalgic).

Regards,

Roberto

Reply to
Roberto

In the UK, about a year ago I bought a cheap LW/MW/SW/FM radio (mainly because it was very cheap). There isn't much on LW and what there is seems to be pretty much swamped by interference.

There seems to be a relentless drive to phase out analogue and bring in DAB, but its worth noting that a couple of Scandinavian countries have already abandoned DAB because its a pile of crap!

Reply to
ian field

"Roberto"

** Only used for radio navigation beacons ( NDBs ) in Australia.

But still active in much of Europe:

** Shame long wave transmissions do not bounce off the ionosphere & around the world.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Might make navigation difficult though :-)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

** But only at night time ...

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Except for a brief period in the 1920s, Australia never used long waves for broadcast. This band is used here for aircraft beacons.

Europe uses LW. One transmitter can cover a whole country.

Some portables (designed for the European market) have it. Check out DSE, Tandy and the $2 shops - I saw one or two radios with LW only last week. But note that the LW part is useless in Australia apart from aircraft beacons, and these really need a receiver covering 150 - 420 kHz.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Yet another incorrect claim about RF by philthy. It most certainly _does_ reflect off the ionosphere, it's just that absorption is very high at those frequencys too, even at night. Stick with audio.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

"Anthony Fremont Raving Lunatic "

** Fuck off - Yank psychopath.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nice technical rebuttal phil.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

"Anthony Fremont Raving LunaticTROLL "

** Fuck off - you asinine Yank psychopath.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison