Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

Hi All,

Was in Woolies today and noticed they had 48cm LCD TV's for $399.  Thought
they seemed pretty reasonable.

Does anyone have one of these? - if so, what is the picture quality like?

David.

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

I was looking at getting a 48/51cm widescreen LCD TV, but after looking
around at the market I get an inkling the prices are about to take a
tumble in the next 6 months to a year. The yield on the larger LCD's is
getting much better and prices are dropping fairly fast,  I figure this
will manifest itself into a dramatic price drop in the smaller LCDs
perhaps?

Problem is they all seem to have analog tuners, so if you want digital
you need an STB for it anyway. Widescreen computer LCD monitors are
getting pretty cheap, and you can now get boxes with a tuner in it that
converts an LCD computer monitor into a TV, this appears it might be a
cheaper way to go to get an analog LCD TV?
What about a digital STB with VGA digital output connected to a
widescreen computer LCD - any good?, cost effective?
Comments...

Dave :)

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

If you are heading down the computer route why not go all the way and
substitute it for the television? HDTV tuners are about the same price
as standard set top boxes. DVD recorders and hard drives are a
fraction of the price of their consumer equivalents. MythTV
<http://www.mythtv.org/ software is free and has an on-line program
guide that makes video recording easy and (almost) foolproof.

I am enthusiastic about it but I have to confess that setting it up is
not for the faint hearted.

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

One simple reason - location.
My computer is in the study, hardly a comfortable or convienient place
to watch TV.
That's why there is a TV in the kitchen (convenience), and the big TV
in the lounge room (comfort, proper surround etc).
Also, no dicking around required on the computer to get it all to work
etc

If it suits your circumstances, then yes, great idea.

Dave :)

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

David

48 cm is only 19 inch.

A 19 inch LCD monitor you will pick up for the same price. You will
need a Digital Set Top Box that is compatable with VGA though the
resoultion will be much clearer. And a monitor more multipurpose then a
TV.

Regards

David

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

I just returned a Kross digital video recorder. When it worked it worked
quite well, but a few days ago it wouldn't switch on. It's got a DVD
inside which I can't get out so I've left it with the store and they're
going to chase it up with the manufacturers.

Friday

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

If you're going for no-name cheap then you may be interested to know
that JB Hifi are selling a "Hicon" 51cm TV for $138. While your local
stores may not be able to match this price you can probably do a lot
better than $399. :)

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

Thought
like?

Possibly better picture quality too, but if the OP wants an LCD, it's
pointless comparing prices to a CRT.

MrT.

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

Whoops.

(sounds of furious backpedalling)

I didn't see LCD mentioned in the OP. Sorry.

Re: Kross 48cm LCD TV from Woolworths - Thoughts?

On 18 Sep 2006 06:22:41 -0700, "rowan194"

The woolies one is an LCD, this JB one would surely be CRT.
For a TV of that size, (and if you are just going to watch TV on it) I
would agree - just buy the $138 CRT one, but some people seem to want
the LCD units, possibly for where there are issues with the size,
quality, resolution etc ?.

It might be worth checking out Ebay for prices on these things,  with
other things, you often find quite good deals there, if you dont mind
online shopping rather than going to a store and bringing the thing
home.

Site Timeline