Kids and soldering irons - Page 2

Re: Kids and soldering irons

They're also highly addictive. A whiff of rosin and the sight of bright
molten solder are enough to make me build something.

I'd especially agree that learning how to make a good solder joint is
important. It's very encouraging when things work.

Re: Kids and soldering irons

@quokka.wn.com.au:

This link explains well the dangers of rosin flux

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg248.pdf

Re: Kids and soldering irons

I started at 13

Did a few kits but most of them were a bloody mess
with bad solder joints but practice did make things
better.

Despite bad eyesight and the fact things take longer
for me to do I still occasionally do a small project
here and there when I can.

But like other people have said why is lead used in solder?

Why haven't they come up with something else?

Re: Kids and soldering irons

They have , but some are a lot more toxic than lead.
You won't get lead poisoning but other possibly worse health effects.
I prefer to risk the lead poisoning.

Also lead free has a higher melting point.

Same with non rosin flux , lot more likely to cause asthma
the ones with halogens

http://www.impell.com/binary/articles/Fume%20ex%20reduces%20LF%20risks.pdf
http://www.emtonthenet.net/techfeatures/200407/technicalarticle_Technology_02.htm

Similar to replacing lead in petrol. The replacements are a lot more toxic
and cause cancer
but don't cause lead poisoning.

A few manufacturers are starting to use conductive adhesives
especially in Europe with the tougher environmental and safety regs.
More non-repairable equipment.

Also helping with the push for distributed passives.
PCB has the passive components built-in as part of the pcb.
Only for massive runs.

Alex

Re: Kids and soldering irons

Seriously there is an alloy with identical crystal
structure to tin/lead in the way it solidifies etc,
but it's 40% platinum. It's not marketed as solder though
more of a lab curiosity and it has a nasty tendency to
shatter like glass with mechanical shock.

Re: Kids and soldering irons

not to mention the shock from the price ...

Re: Kids and soldering irons

10 is plenty old enough if he has a responsible attitude.  You'd better
point out to him also that it's important to keep the iron in a
non-flamable stand and to make sure it's switched off and unplugged when
not in use.  I left mine plugged into a (switched-off) power adapter when I
was young and the iron was just lying on some old cardboard.  Some silly
adult decided to plug something else into the power adapter and turned it
on - luckily it just charred the cardboard and the house didn't burn down.

Also get him a decent iron with a stand and sponge, that way he can learn
about the difficulties of soldering without being confused by the
difficulties of a crap iron.  Get at least a second hand Weller TCP or at
the very minimum an Antex.  The irons in the hardware shops (including
Weller) that have tips shaped like screwdrivers are really only usable as
screwdrivers, if that.

Re: Kids and soldering irons

   If you're going to use a sponge to clean the tip teach the kid to
keep it damp, not soaking wet. The sudden cooling of a wet sponge will
cause hairline cracks in the iron plating and the tip will fail faster.
A dry sponge will smoke and stink up the room.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell