Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

Predictions have started early this year that the netbook is dead too. A touch
over-exaggerated perhaps?

If you're buying a relatively small, cheap laptop in 2011, there's a good chance
someone is going to tell you to get a
tablet, or ask why you didn't.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/245396,opinion-is-this-apocalypse-now-for-netbooks.aspx
http://www.trendingtech.info/technology/in-2011-time-to-defeat-netbook-tablet-computer /

==============

Me, unless the tablet is in a form factor like the Asus T101MT netbook
http://vimeo.com/10137540

then I won't be getting one.

Cheers Don...

=============

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/245396,opinion-is-this-apocalypse-now-for-netbooks.aspx
http://www.trendingtech.info/technology/in-2011-time-to-defeat-netbook-tablet-computer /

  IMO, it's an apples versus oranges 'comparison'.

  FWIW, I have a full size laptop for regular use and a netbook for
travel.

  For the netbook, a real keyboard is a near must and so is
connectivity. I nearly always use one or more of it's USB ports and
sometimes I use all three. And I occasionally use the LAN port. And then
there's a card reader (two actually, which is great for automatic
backup)). And I don't won't to run an OS which is not code compatible
with my main laptop, i.e. I want some form of (real) (MS-)Windows.

  Very, very unlikely that all of this will be available in a tablet.

  So if I would buy a tablet or/and a smart phone, it would be *in
addition*, not instead of.

  That's my EUR 0.02.

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

I am doing the same these days Frank. And I wonder how many people have steered
off in the same direction.

I found I could get a core i7 notebook with the works, cheaper than most tin
boxes with the same features. And the
prices are dropping madly on these "catch of the day" type specials that we are
seeing here in Australia.

So I now use this fast notebook for my main PC, and a 10" netbook for travel.

when something like the Asus T101MT netbook-Tablet comes along with the CPU
power equivalent to the core i7 (and using a
lot less power than the i7), then I may jump across. I love the touch screen
concept, but not at the expense of horse
power and other features that I need when I travel.

It will happen of course, but not for a little while yet.

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/245396,opinion-is-this-apocalypse-now-for-netbooks.aspx
http://www.trendingtech.info/technology/in-2011-time-to-defeat-netbook-tablet-computer /

Plenty ran the same line about desktops and laptops.

Quite a few now dont bother with a desktop.

Thats just plain wrong. The most that might happen is that nowhere
near enough want all of that in a tablet to make it viable, particularly
your demand on code compatibility with the laptop.

not instead of.

Thats true of most.

I wanna refund.

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

My android ereaders has a USB port, a LAN port and can use a real keyboard.

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

Will it recognise hand writing and convert to text?
The tablet PC seems slow in coming if it ever will?
I also want it in 18" like
http://goo.gl/DObg7

Petzl
--
Australia's parliament needs to obey our Constitutions, the judiciary must apply
the law!

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

Nope, they will both be used, just like laptops still are too.

Only from fools that dont have a clue.

Corse it is. Anything that has is place will continue, just like desktops do.

chance someone is going to tell you to get a

Their problem.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/245396,opinion-is-this-apocalypse-now-for-netbooks.aspx

Usual mindless hype.

http://www.trendingtech.info/technology/in-2011-time-to-defeat-netbook-tablet-computer /

Usual mindless shit to get fools to buy their shit rag.

I might for some stuff that doesnt need a full keyboard and where a touch
screen is much more convenient like with some very portable requirements.

I really dont like even laptop keyboards much, let alone netbook keyboards.

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 08:37:09 +1100, "Rod Speed"

ALDI are being inovative IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfdeLk7C5cQ

http://stuffuser.com/medion-akoya-smartpad-a-tablet-with-interesting-conceptual-innovations.html
It has a HDMI port  and 3 USB ports (for a full keyboard perhaps? It
has its own retractable keyboard)
--
Petzl
http://home.iprimus.com.au/petzl/Mono.htm

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

http://stuffuser.com/medion-akoya-smartpad-a-tablet-with-interesting-conceptual-innovations.html

There will be lots of hybrids.

There already are with desktops and laptops too.

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

 No.  As already stated, apples and oranges.  They have two clear
purposes, though, the netbook can perform the duties of a tablet as
well.  The tablet has a reduced price tag to make up for it.

 One point that is consistently "forgotten" when selling tablets, is
they don't have suitable software to duplicate a lot of the
functionality of a netbook.  It's assumed that EVERYONE carries around a
netbook around the house, when a pocket calculator would suffice.

 In fact, here at home, I could replace the use of the netbook perhaps
once every couple of months to show off some information to guests, and
don't want to drag them into another room just to look at the screen.
 Or I could just NOT spend that money and "drag" out the netbook once
every couple of months.

 Also to play my MP3 files stored on the server.
Or I could transmit that audio with an FM transmitter, and pick them up
with an existing radio in the other room.

 So here so far, I've saved the purchase of yet another gadget that I
don't really need.

 The only ones making those claims are either ill-informed, or have a
vested interest in stating that.  Either to sell their particular brand
of tablet, or, to sell tabloid news stories because they didn't have any
UFO sightings this month.

 Either way, if you're in a position to make a decision on buying one or
the other, I would recommend NOT listening to either of the above.
--
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Re: Is the netbook going to be replaced by Tablets in 2011?

The same mindless line was run with desktops and laptops.

The tablet can do everything a netbook can do too.

Wrong, as always. Plenty of netbooks are cheaper than tablets.

Depends on the tablet. Thats a lie with linux based tablets.

Only dinosaurs like you use pocket calculators anymore.

really need.

You dont really need anything, even the house.

You do really need that fucky canvas jacket with extremely long sleeves tho.

Or just need to sell their shit rag that hardly anyone bothers with anymore.