Speeding in Finland Is Going to Cost You

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Sorry to say, but that's true. There are two ways out:

  1. Don't earn any, 2. Drive very carefully.

For 2. a constant-speed controller is your friend on the long lonely stretches in the countryside. The country is

700 miles long, and much of it is very sparsely populated.
--

-TV
Reply to

And pay very careful attention to the road ahead treating speed traps as just another road hazard. Seems reasonable to me that a speeding fine has to be something that the car owner will notice.

In Belgium when I lived there it became a standing joke after their Road Safety Minister was caught doing ~120mph down one of the main streets. The fine was no deterrent at all - more like a petrol supertax.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Do they allow radar detectors in Finland?

As for cruise control, I have taken to using it because the fines are getting ridiculous here in the USA as well... about a year ago I was snagged for 55MPH in a 45MPH zone... fine was $250, driving school, no points, was $180... still quite ridiculous.

But sometimes you get lucky... coming back from Tucson a few weeks ago I passed a nondescript white pickup truck at about 85MPH (in a 50MPH zone)... it was a female Pinal County Sheriff's Deputy... pulled me over, lectured me, then let me go... no ticket ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

No - the customs on our eastern border has an extended collection of them. Getting caught will be as expensive as heavy speeding.

Cruise control is a good thing to avoid the foot getting heavier along the long stretches.

Actually, there is a lower fine when the overspeed is within 10 mph (actually 15 km/h). Over that, the police will have a look at tax records, and the fines will be scaled along with the official income info.

We do not have any penalty points (yet).

Otherwise, Finland is a pretty good place to live in ...

--

-Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Speeding (even a little bit) is great fun! Right up to the moment that kid runs in front of you or the tire busts, or that branch falls or until any one the million other things that are impossible to predict happens.

One of the great things about habitually not speeding is when you see a cop you don't go "Oh shit, I hope I don't get done for speeding".

Grandfathers (in particular) should know better.

Reply to
David Eather

For a while Virginia had a speeding fine of up to $2500. But it turns out according to the state constitution traffic fines must be used for education which didn't help the overall budget's bottom line. So they made it to a "fee", lol. But they could only impose these "fees" on state residents. There was a *huge* backlash and the law was ultimately repealed.

I thought in those wide open spaces states they didn't care if you drove fast? Didn't the feds have to threaten to withhold highway money before some of them would enforce the 55 limit?

--

Rick
Reply to

snip

Interstate highways in the US are just that. Posted zones are as posted, but if no 'regular' posting exists for beyond some specified distance (1 mi), there is no speed limit for that stretch, until a posting is encountered to declare otherwise.

There are only a few states that have areas of highway without regular postings where this still actually applies.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A few months ago, we were coming home from the theater in my wife's red Mustang convertible and a cop pulled me over for 60 in a 45. He saw my white hair and wrote me a warning. Discounts on movie tickets and get out of jail free cars; being a senior isn't all bad. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Could be worse..i understand that if you bonce a check in Colorado, you will be sent to the pen for 5 or more years; NO excuse.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I call bullshit on that one.

Reply to
krw

I believe that is if you *intentionally* bounce a check or in other terms, "utter" a check. That is criminal in most states.

--

Rick
Reply to

If you're really rich, surely you would have a driver to do the speeding for you, whilst you sit in the back. Assuming you didn't tell the driver to speed, would they then use the driver's wage to calculate the fine?

Reply to
Chris Jones

You mean overdraft protection.

Martin Riddle

The Nordic tax system takes care of the wealth so that very few have the luxury of employing a driver, except generals and the ministers of the government - and the president, of course.

Yes - the fine is always the responsibility of the driver and his income.

--

-TV
Reply to

In MILEs per HOUR in Belgium ?

You hear this from a US news source or did you do the metric conversion yourself for us ?

Really, did you do the conversion for USians or what ?

Belgium don't got miles.

Reply to
jurb6006

Say what you want, just do not complain if it is YOU.

Reply to
Robert Baer

In Colorado, it matters not WHAT the "excuse" is...

Reply to
Robert Baer

In a lot of countries and jurisdictions passing a bad check (cheque) is a criminal offense, not just an trivial inconvenience because the vendor charges you $25 or whatever.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I don't know what your basis is for saying this, but here is an equally valid web page with info on the penalties...

Colorado. Misdemeanor - imprisonment in county jail for not less than three months nor more than 12 months or by fine of not less than $250 nor more than $1,000 or both.

Felony - imprisonment in state penitentiary for not less than one year nor more than 5 years or by fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $15,000 or both. If twice previously convicted, punishment is imprisonment in state penitentiary for not less than one year and not more than 10 years or fine of not less than $2,000 nor more than $30,000 or both.

Every reference I could find all said that it is a "crime" if and only if the check was written knowing there were insufficient funds in the account. At the top of the above page they point out that according to the Uniform Commercial Code a post dated check that bounces can't be considered fraud since it doesn't meet the definition of a check.

--

Rick
Reply to