Impressive robotics

Impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww

Dave.

Re: Impressive robotics

Wow! I wonder if they cheated, by wiring up an ant and using it to
control the legs ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Impressive robotics

You gotta wonder.
It's so realistic it's creepy!

Dave.

Re: Impressive robotics

Nope, ants are insects and have six legs.
Different ball game.

They have had 30+ yeas of program development in this area.

Re: Impressive robotics

Ants start off with six legs, but can get by with four. There has been
quite a lot of work done on working out what kind of control algorithm
they use, and some people have been sticking micro-electrodes into
insects and driving the insect muscles directly.

http://www.benettontalk.com/remote-controlled-insects /

"Sparrowhawk" was rubbish.

Ants have rather more.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Impressive robotics

So, how do you control where the ant wants to go?

Thanks,
Rich

Re: Impressive robotics
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:20:19 -0700 (PDT), "David L. Jones"

Thanks, Dave.  That's just amazing.  I had no idea that the state of
the art had advanced to that level.

Its recovery from that sideways kick, and its performance on glare ice
while carrying a large payload were absolutely unreal.

I think DARPA got their money's worth.

All I can say is "Wow!"

Tom

Re: Impressive robotics

Imagine if you spent the day in a peaceful forest... picking and eating
some magic mushrooms... and then you saw *this* thing coming at ya. Fark!

--
http://fun.drno.de/pics/english/rooftops.jpg

Re: Impressive robotics

But does it bark?

Steve Roberts

Re: Impressive robotics

No need - the trees have plenty of bark as it is.

--
http://fun.drno.de/pics/english/rooftops.jpg

Re: Impressive robotics

Naah, not that impressive. You notice that it was connected back to
something else (large scale processor) when it had to do something
complex, like walk on something other than a "flat" surface.

Wonder if it meets the 72 hours of power standard.

Re: Impressive robotics
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:18:15 +1100, the renowned Terryc

I don't think so.. when it was outdoors it was self-powered, probably
by a noisy 2-stroke internal combustion engine. The inside shots had a
rolling overhead gantry with power cables that did not constrain the
motion much.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Impressive robotics

So I presume you've got a more impressive video of robotics to share
with us?

Dave.

Re: Impressive robotics
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:20:19 -0700 (PDT), "David L. Jones"

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23401052-952,00.html

Re: Impressive robotics

Poor bugger, but he has my respect.

--
http://fun.drno.de/pics/english/rooftops.jpg

Re: Impressive robotics

Seems like he wanted to be 100% certain he'd end up dead?  Otherwise it seems
like a lot of effort to go to when he could have just put a gun to his head
and pulled the trigger?

It is, of course, very unfortunate, but I can understand why a person might
choose death at 81 rather than being forced into a nursing home.

Re: Impressive robotics

Only thing was he used a .22, which isn't exactly heavy artillery.
Then again, it was probably all he had available, and assuming this
machine he built could fire multiple rounds in quick succession - it'd
be effective. A single self-inflicted shot to the head with a .22 is by
no means guaranteed to work... plenty of people have survived doing
exactly that.

So can I. Quality over quantity thanks.

--
http://fun.drno.de/pics/english/rooftops.jpg

Re: Impressive robotics

   So will your bed.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
Re: Impressive robotics

Have you read Tuesdays with Morrie?  It might make you re-think your position
here (no pun intended), but I fully understand where you're coming from.

Re: Impressive robotics

How selfish were the relatives?  This guy was obviously still pretty
together--an Alzheimer's patient wouldn't be building anything much, let
alone carrying out a complicated plan like that.

What a sad story.  May the earth lie light upon him.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Site Timeline