How to find yourself on Google Earth

Can someone in eastern Australia use their backyard to make a huge clock
that is readable from space?  This way when Google Maps updates their
imagery we can use your clock as a reference to find out where we were at
that particular day and time.

Thanks

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

"Sharpie"

** Got news for you pal -  nearly all the images are taken from aircraft,
mostly helicopters.

  Pics taken from satellites are not near as detailed.

** Last pic I saw of where I live showed all the wheelie bins on the nature
strip on a sunny day with their shadows pointing east  -  so it had to be a
Monday arvo.

Your mad idea cannot work as the pics on Google Maps all have different
dates.

....  Phil

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

They took my street on bin night too, as well as the concretors doing
my path.
They could have picked a better day ;)

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth
Sorry but I didn't point out that Google Earth (the downloadable software)
does have the date but not the time.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth
nearly all taken from  aircraft  ,    CRAP   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 crap again  phil ,  how come satellites can read a newspaper headline  on
earth from outer space ???

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

Correct, but quite a bit of it is.

Not the ones used for google earth.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Maps#Satellite_view

" Although Google uses the word satellite, most of the high-resolution
imagery is aerial photography taken from aircraft flying at 800-1500 feet
rather than from satellites. "

....  Phil

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

AFAIk, helicopters are too unstable for te real uses to which these
images are put.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

imagery is aerial photography taken from

put.

And much more expensive to operate than fixed wing aircraft.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

do you want DD:MM:YYYY HH:MM:SS ?

May take 14 back yards.

Or do you perhaps want that in hex, octal, decimal, or binary?

Might be easier if Giggle time-date stamped their pictures.

:-)

Cheers Don...

=========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

There is a Google competitor somone posted here a while ago that has the
date of the aerial photos.

They have WA as well.

http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-32.072102,115.795298&ll=-32.072102,115.795298&z14%&t=h&nmd20%110420

You can go back in time to see how your area has changed eg if you had
buildings knocked down etc.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth
Not necessary you can approximate this by knowing specific locations of
cars etc.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

Would hate to pay the power bill.

With street view (note, this is NOT going to be taken at the same time
as overhead pics), you could just put a sign with the date out the
front and change each day (not practical), or lay out easily visible
large items such as pots, blocks, suitably sized pieces of paper
strategically stuck to inside of window etc in such a way to form a
binary pattern that you can work out later from the pic on street
view.

7 items (bits) would easily give you more than 365. that would cover
each day of the year

Maybe if you were really keen for google satellite view, you could
arrange (very large) items in your yard to form such a pattern. Items
visible from overhead such as your car, kids trampoline, maybe bins,
or similar could be positioned in patterns of different places each
day to form a code.

Time can be determined roughly by examining the shadows.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

Would hate to pay the power bill.

With street view (note, this is NOT going to be taken at the same time
as overhead pics), you could just put a sign with the date out the
front and change each day (not practical), or lay out easily visible
large items such as pots, blocks, suitably sized pieces of paper
strategically stuck to inside of window etc in such a way to form a
binary pattern that you can work out later from the pic on street
view.

7 items (bits) would easily give you more than 365. that would cover
each day of the year

7 bits gives you 128, you would need 9 bits.

Maybe if you were really keen for google satellite view, you could
arrange (very large) items in your yard to form such a pattern. Items
visible from overhead such as your car, kids trampoline, maybe bins,
or similar could be positioned in patterns of different places each
day to form a code.

Time can be determined roughly by examining the shadows.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

7 or 9 bit kids may be hard to find. Plenty of 2 bits around.

Morse code numbers are only 5 bits per digit.
One kid standing up, followed by four lying down for a "1"

:-)

Who is responsible for starting this thread?

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

Not me, I was just being pedantic.

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

Saw this a while back when visiting this town.  If you take a look a
couple of CM to the right of the words "riverside apartments" you
can see a clock face in a front yard (looks like an upside down tick
with white hands).  This is an outdoor electric analog clock and
reading it from the street if says 10-05.  Note there are 4 bushes or
small trees? on one side of the clock and 3 on the other.

Objects the size of these bushes could be arranged to form a binary
pattern to indicate week/month or day as long as you remember to
change them every day.

Are there any clocks like this in your area that you can look for in
your google earth pic  ?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f3D%q&source3D%s_q&hl3D%en&geocode3D%&q3D%maryb =
orough+4650&ie3D%UTF8&hq3D%&hnear3D%Maryborough+Queensland,+Australia&t3D%h=
&ll3D%-25.53939,152.706552&spn3D%0.001425,0.003372&z3D%19&iwloc3D%A

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=maryborough+4650&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Maryborough+Queensland,+Australia&t=h&ll=-25.53939,152.706552&spn=0.001425,0.003372&z19%&iwloc=A

Boy, that took some working out.

Google places the street view purple road copy of Warf St., in the middle of
"riverside apartments". It is out of
alignment, like many of the purple road street views in some areas.

I was able to find the fascia of K.Meyer & Co, and count back. Eventually found
the 3 bushes one side, and four the
other. But on street view, there is no clock face.

Picture must have been taken before it was installed, or after it was removed.

Anyone you can't find the property, it is the one with workers plastic orange
fence, or mesh, to the left of the
property, and this has a site office caravan directly opposite.

So, having a look at the size of the bushes, yes, you could set out a grid in
one yard, possibly using orange wheely
bins on a grid.

Now you need a simple time-date code that everyone can read. Decimal will be a
lot of bins, if you are talking about a
minute to midnight on new years eve.

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

You dont need the whole bin, just the lid :)  You can "obtain" as many
of these as you want on bin night if you know how to get them off :)

Re: How to find yourself on Google Earth

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=maryborough+4650&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Maryborough+Queensland,+Australia&t=h&ll=-25.53939,152.706552&spn=0.001425,0.003372&z19%&iwloc=A

If you use nearmap.com and search for

  wharf street mayborough qld

You see a beautiful pic of the clock face

Cu

Site Timeline