How the bastards do it - Page 8

Re: How the bastards do it

The trouble with studying one field all your life is that you are locked
into conventional thinking in the main.
Look at new inventions they are quite often made by people out of the
field looking out of the square, a locksmith has trouble looking past
conventional thinking where as someone outside the field has a blank
canvas for instance, so discounting all experts not in a narrow field is
stupid.

http://www.csiro.au/Outcomes/Climate/CSIRO-scientists-and-climate-change-knowledge.aspx

Re: How the bastards do it

Umm, in the past, that was identified as a major problem of western
education. at one stage, those with an "eastern" education were seen as
having a broader/cross area approach to investigation/study/research,

Re: How the bastards do it

That is exactly right, and I believe it is a big problem in recent times.  =
Even in Electronics, those with the narrow area of knowledge can be very pr=
oblematic, if you need to work on/collaborate on something that is even sli=
ghtly outside that narrow field of expertise.

All round general knowledge/understanding -even if not as high a level as i=
n your specific field is very important. 20%

Life experience also counts enormously. Being in small business long term a=
nd dealing with all types, teaches you a lot about people, and especially i=
f they are lying, pulling a fast one, trying to bullshit their way through =
something or have no real knowledge, but are pretending to.  I also find ou=
t that if (or are perceived as) you listen and are receptive, you find out =
a lot of good stuff, but people who are not, and especially push narrow "pa=
rroted" crap around will tend to be shut out once they open their mouths.

Experience alone to me sends up red flags all over the place about the pro =
AGW warmist brigade.

Re: How the bastards do it
Even in Electronics,

There are a lot of areas where the knowledge set it like that.

warmist brigade.
Well, not many are actually competent to understand, let alone explain
the data, so they just go with the fashion/mob.

Site Timeline