help with prototyping a MSOP IC

hi there guys...

need help in soldering a surface mount power controller IC.

it's a MSOP packaging... the pin pitch spacing is 0.5mm. it's a 10 pin
device.

any ideas on how i can solder wires onto it so I can test it out without
doing a PCB board?

i tried soldering wires onto the pins (using a microscope - and 1mm
soldering iron tip) but... still having lots of trouble...

thanks for any help.

khoa

Re: help with prototyping a MSOP IC

Jaycar have a new range of SMD prototyping boards to suit a whole range
of footprints.

Dave :)

Re: help with prototyping a MSOP IC

Hi Dave,

I can't find any reference to these on Jaycar's website. Can you give me
a pointer?

Thanks

Jim

Re: help with prototyping a MSOP IC

Ah, maybe they haven't filtered down to Jaycar yet, the wholesale group
Electus have them:
http://www1.electusdistribution.com.au/productView.asp?ID73%16&CATID=&keywords=prototype&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&SUBCATID =

Type "prototype" onto the main search page and you'd get the whole list
of them:
http://www1.electusdistribution.com.au/productResults.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize10%&keywords=prototype&CATID=&SUBCATID=&form=KEYWORD&SPECIAL =

They also have cheaper looking individual boards here:
http://www1.electusdistribution.com.au/productView.asp?ID73%21&CATID=&keywords=surface+mount&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&SUBCATID =
Type "surface mount" into the search engine and you'll get several
options for these too.

Dave :)

Re: help with prototyping a MSOP IC

http://www1.electusdistribution.com.au/productView.asp?ID73%16&CATID=&keywords=prototype&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&SUBCATID =

Thanks David, your a legend!!! It's gonna save me heaps of time...

I just destroyed one IC trying to solder it manually with the microscope...
hehe.. (and I have shaky hands too!!)

Site Timeline