Harvey Norman the pommy view. - Page 4

Re: Harvey Norman the pommy view.

In the 1990s a local nut processing plant opened and purchased all
their equipment from the USA.
I use a local engineering/metalwork shop that was doing their work.

I remember seeing boxes of discarded
US power sockets, wire, fuse boxes and other gear, along with a few
large 3 phase squirrel cage motors sitting in the
workshop. Asked him out of interest what it was from and he mentioned
the nut place and how motors were constantly
burning out, and needed to be re-wound despite being run on 120v via a
large transformer.

the motors that were in his workshop were being sent off to be rewound
after cooking.

Informed him of the 60hz problem, and that the only solutions were to
1>make the 120v into 60hz using some sort of converter.
2>replace the motor with a suitable 240v one, but the RPM would be
lower.

Also to make matters worse, the gear was running probably 1/6th slower
than it was designed for.

depending on the cost and loss of efficiency in the conversion - using
the converter was probably the best option as
replacing the motors would have resulted in the equipment still
running slower than intended, and changes to gear ratios/pulleys
etc would probably be needed if this was an issue.

I informed  him of all this, I don't know the outcome, the place
closed down a few years later.

Re: Harvey Norman the pommy view.
keithr Inscribed thus:

Actually it wouldn't.  Its the same motor for both 50 & 60 Hz.

Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Harvey Norman the pommy view.

Are you talking practical experience or theory? I have seen a number of
people try running 60Hz motor driven devices through transformers, none
had good experiences.

Re: Harvey Norman the pommy view.
keithr Inscribed thus:

The Dysons except for certain models use a universal motor.  The only
other one I've seen is an electronically commuted motor.  So I suspect
that supply frequency wouldn't matter for that one either.

I was talking about Dyson !  With anything else YMMV.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Harvey Norman the pommy view.

I think Gerry and Friends may be too busy right now, and this issue could remain
dormant for a few more months:

Melbourne Herald Sun - Today:
"Demand for furniture and electrical goods is also expected to soar as
homeowners replace lost possessions.
Radio Rentals refused to comment on speculation it was preparing to raise prices
to cash in on insurance claims.
However, shoppers around Australia may find shortages of many items as retailers
prioritise stores in northern New South
Wales and Queensland."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/prices-to-rise-as-floodwaters-fall/story-fn6bn4mv-1225988390148

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Harvey Norman the pommy view.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/prices-to-rise-as-floodwaters-fall/story-fn6bn4mv-1225988390148
Will Gerry offer a discount to flood victims, especially those not
covered by flood insurance? I'd like to be surprised, but I expect to be
disapointed.

Site Timeline