GPS Phone madness

Looks like using GPS phones will be banned in Vic, even if it's in a cradle:
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27916/532 /

Madness, as only the bureaucrats can come up with.

Dave.
Re: GPS Phone madness

**Yeah? Wait'll you get tapped in the arse by some idiot punching a
destination into his GPS. IF a GPS can be made to only operate by a
passenger, or when the car is stationary, then I have no problems with their
use. As long as drivers can use them, then we're all in trouble.

PS: My 'phone is GPS equipped, so I will be affected by any forthcoming
legislation. I ONLY operate it when my car is stationary. Driving a car in
Sydney requires 100% concentration.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: GPS Phone madness

Yep, please explain how it makes sense to have a purpose designed GPS device
in a cradle legal, yet a mobile phone (often running the same GPS software)
in the same cradle will be illegal to use.

They can do that with purpose designed GPS's too, yet they ain't nabbing
people for using those.

So do I. I plug in the address and then let the voice prompt do the rest.

Indeed.

Dave.

Re: GPS Phone madness

Also:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/08/using-iphone-satnav-apps-while-driving-is-actually-illegal /

"Under Rule 300 of the Australian Road Rules, which prohibits the use of a
hand held device while driving, if the unit is a mobile phone then any
function connected to the phone would be classified as use and this includes
GPS.
Rule 299, of the Australian Road Rules permits a GPS but not one connected
to a mobile phone. A smart phone is still a mobile phone regardless of what
else it may be capable of."

Dave.

Re: GPS Phone madness

includes

If it's in a cradle it's no longer "hand held" is it. And what about hands
free kits for mobile phones. Are they now banned as well?

MrT.

Re: GPS Phone madness

**Perhaps you misunderstood the thrust of my argument. ALL GPS units ('phone
and non-'phone types) need to be subject to the same restrictions.

**See above.

**Which is why ALL GPS units need to be treated the same.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: GPS Phone madness

As long as operating radio,cd player setting clock, adjusting heater or
air con,trip meter, electric mirrors or manual rear vision mirror or any
of the other myriad things that are part of driving are also banned.

Re: GPS Phone madness

**None of those takes as much concentration as punching an address into a
GPS. I've seen people do it and I've been the victim of an idiot who did it
whilst driving.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: GPS Phone madness

great! get a GPS phone and you can send txt messages and claim you
were adjusting it...

.

Re: GPS Phone madness

So you think people looking up UBD on their knees or steering wheel are safer?

Tom

Re: GPS Phone madness

**Are you a complete moron, or just wilfully stupid?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: GPS Phone madness

Last summer I was hit in a back by a guy looking up his way in refedex while
driving a car. You must be a moron if you cannot imagine that happen. It was a
young fellow in old Falcon so I suspect not everyone can afford or is willing
steal a GPS for his car.

Just trying to point out that banning anything won't solve a problem.  I've seen
women putting make up while driving - would you ban lipstick and mascara  from
drivers hanbags? It would make sense (at least for me) if the cops here target
idiotic and dangerous behaviour on the road and not particular devices. Somehow
it is too hard to understand that idots are the danger, not a GPS or a mobile
phone.

Tom

Re: GPS Phone madness

At least these guys were stationary"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/14/2684785.htm

Re: GPS Phone madness

Hi,

Perhaps the problem is that people might be tempted to use their phone
for non-GPS purposes for example if an SMS arrives while they're at the
lights. It's really easy to get distracted when your GPS device tries to
do more than just be a GPS.

I reckon it's too much of a temptation for many to revert to 'illegal'
behaviour even when it's cradled (especially modern touch screen
phones), so perhaps it's better to force the phone out of your reach
while driving, including off the dash.. Not everyone would break the law
as described of course, but I imagine there will always be enough stupid
people to warrant it overall..

Regards,

Ross..

Re: GPS Phone madness

snipped-for-privacy@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au said...
:
:> Looks like using GPS phones will be banned in Vic, even if it's in a
:> cradle:
:> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27916/532 /
:>
:> Madness, as only the bureaucrats can come up with.
:
:**Yeah? Wait'll you get tapped in the arse by some idiot punching a
:destination into his GPS. IF a GPS can be made to only operate by a
:passenger, or when the car is stationary, then I have no problems with their
:use. As long as drivers can use them, then we're all in trouble.
:
:PS: My 'phone is GPS equipped, so I will be affected by any forthcoming
:legislation. I ONLY operate it when my car is stationary. Driving a car in
:Sydney requires 100% concentration.

Wouldn't you be a lot happier living somewhere like Singapore?
They love having endless laws, with harsh penalties.
Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Re: GPS Phone madness

**Fuck that. It's a dictatorship, where capital punishment is enshrined in
law. I am anti-capital punishment. Singapore has the worst weather on the
planet too.

**After YOU get rear-ended by some fuckwit playing with his GPS, get back to
me. Idiots cannot be trusted to use GPS' responsibly. The law is essential.
I watched this idiot plough into me a few months ago. I could see him
fiddling with his GPS. I had absolutely no-where to go. I just waited for
the crunch. Then I waited for my car to be repaired. It was a PITA. All his
fault, that doesn't make up for the inconvenience.

Walk a mile in my shoes, BEFORE you shoot your mouth off.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: GPS Phone madness

essential.
his

Simply ban cars then, IF they want to ban devices rather than the real
cause, *stupid drivers*. That would fix your problem. Would that make you
happy too? If so just sell your car now and your problem is solved!

MrT.

Re: GPS Phone madness

**As long as the government sees fit to allow complete morons the right to
drive a car, then we needs laws to ensure that they do not injure others.

BTW: Idiots using a GPS can injure pedestrians too.

Like I said before: Walk a mile in my shoes. Wait 'till some idiot rams you
up the arse, because he was mucking about with his GPS. You'll be screaming
for legislation too. I was dead lucky. No injuries and not much damage to my
car. Next time and idiot decides to play Russian roulette with MY life, I
may not be so lucky. Nor, I might add, might you be.

We either get ALL the idiots off the road, or we use draconian laws to keep
the idiots in line. Those of us with common-sense don't read maps, text or
use a GPS whilst we're driving.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: GPS Phone madness

How stupid! IF you don't prevent the truly stupid from driving in the first
place, NO law is going to prevent them injuring others.

Since intelligent people only touch it *before* they drive, I can't see how.
Maybe you think high levels of radiation? :-) Continually trying to figure
out where you are and where you are going is probably more distracting IMO.

you

I've been run into the back of 3 times by people not watching what they were
doing! NONE of them was playing with a GPS. You STILL do not understand the
difference between poor driving, inattention and a singular piece of
technology that MAY cause some *morons* to crash, when they'd just find some
other way to do it anyhow.

I've been screaming for tougher driving tests, and retests every ten years
at least. Have been doing so for decades with no result. The government
makes FAR too much money fining morons to want to get rid of them
beforehand.
I am NOT screaming for bans on GPS usage however.

EVERY time you drive on the road you are playing Russian roulette, since the
government actually believes advanced driver traing is a BAD thing :-(

keep

The bigger the idiot, the less likely they are to obey the law anyway. Good
luck with your "osteriech" false sense of security.

GPS "usage" while driving doesn't involve touching it at all, and is no more
dangerous than listening to the radio!

MrT.

Re: GPS Phone madness

said...
:
<snip>
:> Like I said before: Walk a mile in my shoes. Wait 'till some idiot rams
:you
:> up the arse, because he was mucking about with his GPS.
:
:I've been run into the back of 3 times by people not watching what they were
:doing! NONE of them was playing with a GPS. You STILL do not understand the
:difference between poor driving, inattention and a singular piece of
:technology that MAY cause some *morons* to crash, when they'd just find some
:other way to do it anyhow.

Indeed, he just doesnt get it.

Site Timeline