google maps street view

new today:

goto google maps:
http://maps.google.com /
type in your house address

if you are in a reasonably well trodden area:
click on street view, and with the arrows in the photograph, you can
navigate 3 or 4 houses at a time.

the street view button must be there, and a heavy blue line around the
street.

I have a daughter living in a dead end court. Her property has 4
pictures in street view.

Another daughter living in Darwin NT, doesn't get a mention, in fact it
looks like all of NT (Australia) doesn't get a mention.

Have fun,

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

[pretty much way OT] google maps street view

Nah, there's a bit of it there - zoom out to a whole-state view, click
Street View and look at the blue-outlined bits.  Looks like they
turned off at Katherine and continued over to Broome (or came from).
And they took the photos for Brisbane early this year at the latest.

mlp

Re: google maps street view

New today???  Street view is over a year old now.

I'm in the DC area and we haven't been mapped yet even though I see more
and more areas around us keep showing up.  My Sister in Louisville KY got
her home mapped many months ago.  I grew up in Louisville and had fun
visiting all my old hang outs with street view.

I'm still waiting for the live web cam version so you can see the earth in
real time. :)

--
Curt Welch                                            http://CurtWelch.Com /
snipped-for-privacy@kcwc.com                                        http://NewsReader.Com /

Re: google maps street view

New today for Australia and Japan, but that wasn't the way it was
announced here.

Apparently it has been available in France and the US for some time.

Pretty amazing anyway.
A good friend of mine has his wife out the front watering the plants
from a bucket, with laundry water. Water restrictions here in most of OZ
right now.

Another says there is a dog crapping on his front lawn. And the dog's
face isn't masked out either. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: google maps street view

Wasn't it snowing in Sydney recently?   What I saw looked like the snow
here.  It goes in one day.

Re: google maps street view

Darn.  They are mapping the rest of the world and still haven't gotten my
house! :)

Yeah, if I only knew when the van was going to come by, I'd stand out and
wave or do something else stupid for it. :)

I thought it might be fun to put a large date/time display on the roof so
the next time they took a satellite picture I would have a good time stamp
for when it happened.  Same idea would work for the street view van if I
put a display of some type out front.

Curt Welch                                            http://CurtWelch.Com /
snipped-for-privacy@kcwc.com                                        http://NewsReader.Com /

Re: google maps street view

<snip>

Under sufficient zoom, the satellite view is actually from an airplane at
about 3000 ft.
My vehicle was visible outside my Mom's home in the pictures but a recent
look
shows that there has been an update and my vehicle is missing.

There was no street view at that time but I'll check again just for the fun.

Re: google maps street view
How about painting "Google Sux" or similar on the roof? See if they
pixilate it out?

Re: google maps street view

That was my complaint.
1) i could have mown the lawn,
2) I could have cleaned the leaves out of the gutter
3) I could have sold adverytising space on the trailer top 2x3m.
4) I could have added the anchor chain and calf collar to the dog kennel*.

* I have a kennel for a large dog in the front yard, which is clearly
visible from the street. Ireally need to add a long chain and big collar,
with a sign "Warning, dog can drag kennel when adgitated" {:-).

Re: google maps street view

   I need a new roof on my garage. It is 30 feet * 40 feet, and I am
thinking about painting 'John 3:16' to see if it shows up in the next
update.  Also, I am in the path to a major airport, and over 100 planes
a week will fly right over it. There are probably more, too high to
hear. I bet it would cause a lot of comments. :)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: google maps street view

Worth a try, although your local council might want to ping you for a fee*.

8 A Local hairdresser had a design painted onto the roller shutters they
had installed to protect their windoes from vandals when the business was
closed. Our local council called it unauthorised signage, wanted them to
reove it and then apply for planning permission. i think it became another
issue that our council lost in court and ratepayers in rates going to line
legal peoples pockets.

Re: google maps street view

   I live in the US, and in an unincorperated area, so there is noone to
complain to.  They wouldn't be able to see it from the ground, it's a
flat roof.

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q90%30+SE+35th+Ave.+ocala,+fl.&sll29%.091155,-82.088618&sspn=0.001718,0.002379&ie=UTF8&ll29%.091172,-82.088444&spn=0.001718,0.002379&t=h&z19%&lci=lmc:panoramio

Here is an areal view they took about 18 months ago. Two buildings are
completly hidden by trees.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: google maps street view

Probably safe, at least for a while. Over here, certain places are
flown regularly (yearly) by the aerial photographers to produce images for
use by surveyors. Many authorities use those photographs for different
purposes, so they'd be the first to see it. No idea about updating on
satllite images, although based on new and old images here, you probably
have a couple of decade before it becomes public knowledge(appears on
google).

Re: google maps street view

   Being a former broadcast engineer, I would call one of the TV
stations I worked at, and complain that my religious freedom was being
challenged. It is a 5 MW EIRP Christian TV station, with a 1749 FAAT
(Feet Above Average Terrain) antenna. They can be received in almost
half the state of Florida. :)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: google maps street view

Yes. I rented an apartment in New York for a week earlier in the year. I
used Google street view to "walk down the street" and check it out. Saw
that both a subway entrance and Starbucks was on the corner. Pretty cool
stuff!

Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd, <http://www.vl.com.au
Re: google maps street view

Not much mention here either (Cameron Park, California). Ok, some folks
say it's really only a truck stop but that ain't so.

What bugs me most is that since a few weeks the dang maps don't print
out anymore. Only near-blank pages. Tried on different printers, none
works with Google maps anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: google maps street view

Thanks Don, was wondering when the Aussie version would come online,
the Google Van went around quite some time ago.
Sadly it missed my little cul-de-sac though.

It's been around for a while now but I still find Google street view
simple amazing...

Dave.

Re: google maps street view

It must have been done a LONG time ago, Petrol is 131c/L  !

Colin

Re: google maps street view

I heard the CEO OZ interviewed this morning on 3AW, says it was started
in November.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: google maps street view

I saw $1.33/L last night in Sydney.
Happily paid $2.11 last week in WA for what was advertised as
Australia's most expensive petrol, only to return home to hear someone
we know paid $2.15 in Alice Springs the same week - damn, I was hoping
for bragging rights.

Dave.

Site Timeline