Faulty floodlight sends dozens to hospital - UV

Would a "lamp" without a cover cause UV burns to the eyes &  skin of the
audience in a sporting venue?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-16/faulty-floodlight-causes-injuries/3735876?section=wa

Re: Faulty floodlight sends dozens to hospital - UV

Possible as there was a concern in the 1990s about domestic halogen
lights emitting too much UV,
which was considered a risk to the eyes when used in desklights.
AFAIK, they have had UV filters since then

I would think it would have to be a bloody powerful bulb(s), & one
that is very inefficient in as much as
it gives off a lot of UV compared to visible light to give burns bad
enough for people to be going to hospital.

I guess that if you had the symptoms of sunburn, and hadn't been in
the sun, you would start to worry a lot
about what "horrible disease" you might have contracted.

Re: Faulty floodlight sends dozens to hospital - UV

Possible as there was a concern in the 1990s about domestic halogen
lights emitting too much UV,
which was considered a risk to the eyes when used in desklights.
AFAIK, they have had UV filters since then

I would think it would have to be a bloody powerful bulb(s), & one
that is very inefficient in as much as
it gives off a lot of UV compared to visible light to give burns bad
enough for people to be going to hospital.

I guess that if you had the symptoms of sunburn, and hadn't been in
the sun, you would start to worry a lot
about what "horrible disease" you might have contracted.

Yeah, seems a bit extreme. I've had welding flash burns in my eyes - very
painfull, but the source is tens of centimeters from your eyes, not many
meters as in this case.

Re: Faulty floodlight sends dozens to hospital - UV
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:42:20 +0800, "Dennis"

These were multi-head portable floodlights on an extendable arm, to
facilitate playing basketball in the street.  The cover glass (on
those still retaining it) clearly stated not to operate without the
glass in place.  Obviously there is a known hazard which the glass
(filter) mitigates..

Re: Faulty floodlight sends dozens to hospital - UV

Its a really good idea to print a warning ON THE GLASS not to operate
without the glass in place :)

Site Timeline