Evolution in Notebooks. Super Mini Laptop Asus Eee

Evolution in Notebooks. Super Mini Laptop Asus Eee

Straight up. No, I am not selling these.

There has been big movement in the notebook world in the last few months.

Asus is one of the manufacturers that has woken up to the fact that
solid state memory is gaining ground hand over fist on mechanical hard
drives, and come up with a sub miniature notebook with a 4Gb memory hard
drive that runs Linux, and is capable of running windows XP. One user
has even installed Vista on his.

OLTPC (one latptop per child) program is using a similar principle in
their green, rabbit ears, $100USD notebooks, but these are aimed only at
third world students initially, and look like being more like $200USD

I wanted something that will run Linux, as I decided it was about time
top learn something about it, but as I travel, and run my business from
a windows notebook that I lug around, I may well install windows on
mine, and give this a try.

Dick Smith NZ has them in stock, DS Australia, should be selling them
before Christmas. Price $499AUD

Specificatios:
==============
Display 7"
CPU & Chipset Intel Mobile CPU & chipset
Operating System Lunix  Windows XP Compatible
Communication 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
WLAN WiFi 802.11b/g
Memory 512Mb, DDR2
S.S.D.Storage 4GB
Web-Cam 0.3 Mega Pixel Video camera
Audio Hi-Definition audio CODEC, Built-in stereo speaker, Built-in
microphone
Battery Life 3 hrs
Dimension & Weight 22.5 x 16.4 x  2.15~3.5 cm, <1 kg

There is really a ground swell in what is taking place with this super mini.

The world user group already has over 2000 members and over 22K posts.
http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php

Australian Forums:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t85%7144&p=1

Ebay 512Mb version $420USD
<http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item20%0170829056&ih01%0&category11%4205&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:CUST

Ebay 1 Gb version $460USD
<http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Super-Mini-Laptop-Asus-Eee-PC-EeePC-1GB-Ram-In-Stock_W0QQitemZ200171215044QQihZ010QQcategoryZ114205QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

How to install XP without a CD Rom Drive:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id18%88

And I am amazed at the hardware hacks that users have already made to
these machines. See the world forum. Used to be me that hacked things
like this ahead of the crowd, but I'm too slow these days. :-)

News is that 8Gb and 16Gb versions will be out in the new year, and a
10" screen is planned.

I'll bet majority of people reading this will either own one of these,
or will see one in action in the next 6 months.

Me, I haven't seen one yet, but I just ordered mine online at eBay, coz
I can't wait till Christmas :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie