eee pc? no eee box!

Is this where PC boxes are heading? $400USD for a PC that runs on 20W of power, and can bolt to the back of an LCD monitor.

It's the Asus EEE revolution doing it's thing again.

what's more, they are sticking with XP as an operating system.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

200 USD 1 off, 6w, VESA mount; DOS, WinCE, WinXP or Linux, Ethernet, 3xUSB, 2xRS232, 24 x GPIO ...
and many other places.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

Interesting - no mention of inbuilt Flash ?

- What this product needs, is an internal USB socket, so you can fit a USB Flash drive, safely inside away from harms reach..

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Mass storage is usually a Compact Flash card in the front slot. It's a good tight fit.

Internal expansion is through a miniPCI connector, which is also used for a WiFi card if needed.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691
Stephen Pelc

"Don McKenzie" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

295$ / 5W alternative :
Cheers, Robert
Reply to
Robert Lacoste

"Robert Lacoste" wrote in news:48a95ad3$0$886$ snipped-for-privacy@news.orange.fr:

or:

Bye Jack

--
Eroi non si nasce, ti incastrano
- Jim Belushi

Yes, I suppose if you had an embedded application Compact Flash could be a useful mass storage format. But for the general commerical market, there is no reason to use anything other than SD cards or USB sticks. These formats may be limited to around 16 GB or so at the moment, but that is all I had on my PC some 5 years ago and a I would be very happy starting with that on such a portable unit today.

Compact Flash or any of the other memory formats are for niche applcations today and most will be gone in another two years. I think people will still be using floppy disks longer than most of these memory stick formats. (I still have an excellent camera that uses floppies).

I also saw mention of IDE 44. Is there room for an internal rotating disk drive like they use in the iPods?

Rick

Reply to
TehPron

It's here, available, ex-stock and cheap. It is what it is. I'm not advocating it for anything other than embedded or industrial use. At least CompactFlash has a mechnical standard, so you know what you are dealing with. As far as I know, USB sticks have no mechanical standard beyond the USB connector.

Yes.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691
Stephen Pelc

It also has the advantage that IDE / SATA to CF adaptors are available at very reasonable prices (I bought 2 for a fiver off of eBay) and mean that they can be mounted internally to most PC cases.

--
Boo
Reply to

be

And it has the big disadvantage that you can't plug it into most desktops or laptops without a special adapter. Unless you need a capacity that currently (this week anyway) exceeds what is available in SD format, I don't see any reason to go with such a large and clumsy format. I guess there are applications where you want users to be able to remove the storage and the SD or USB format is so small that they are likely to loose it. But then a CF sized box should do the trick for an SD card or USB stick, or a dozen.

Needing to have a mechanical spec for a USB stick seems to be an odd requirement. If there is not a spec out there, define your own spec for your mounting and specify a few units that meet that spec. This isn't rocket science.. at least I don't think it is. Are these things going on the shuttle?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I could live with the internal USB socket(s) 'borrowing' the IDE44 space - users are likely to want one or the other, and USB has widespread availability.

Rather less likely to find a fitting IDE44 drive at the corner store :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Indeed not very likely but recently I was nicely surprised stumbling into 44-pin ATA (IDE) flash drives, starting at 1G around $20-25. Pretty good for a particular application I have - 1G won't get you very far in the wintel world nowadays, of course.

Didi