Asus Eee drains battery while "off"

"Power supply drains when eee 900 switched off?"

The battery seems to be at ~7.98 V and the leakage current is 14 mA. Which leaves the computer bootable for a maximum of 9 days after last charge. Battery controller is MAX8724.

Any idea (educated guess) what might be draining the battery ..? There's quite a few people that bought these ;)

Reply to
sky465nm

Is it really off or is there a hibernate mode?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Can I guess(tm)? It might have WOL (wake on LAN) enabled to turn the laptop on remotely. If so, there's power to the ethernet and/or wireless adapter even when turned off. I dunno if the eee 900 even has WOL, but it's worth checking the CMOS and the OS settings.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Also, check for modem settings if it has one. There is often a feature that listens in on a phone line and turns the PC on when for example a fax comes in. At least the PCMCIA modem in my old Compaq had that and it came with a warning not to leave active unless needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nope off as in "off".

Reply to
sky465nm

Is there a blinking light? My laptop has a blinking light -- only in standby, of course.

Just a thought...

Tim

Tim Williams

To reduce battery drain to zero mA, unlatch and remove the battery from the device. Refrain from shorting together any of the battery pack pins.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Top posting mode... just a LACK of thought.

Read the thread, idiot. Standby mode has already been discussed.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Well that's been discussed in the original eee forum thread. And the consensus is that it kind of defeats the purpose of a "mobile" unit. So it can be done but it's quite inconvenient. Guess the switch-in-the-case mod is coming up soon ;)

Reply to
sky465nm

Or the simple fashioning of a piece of tape to place in just the right place, so the "disconnected" battery can be stored in its normal location, alleviating most of your "inconvenience". Use the right shape piece, and it can be removed without detaching the battery, putting it back into service virtually instantaneously. The switch installation is likely still the easiest, if the right switch is bought.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

14mA is not "leakage"; in some quarters that is close to a short. Perhaps that is Maxim's way of generating income from the few, rare items they (somehow) manage to sell.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Here's my blinking light story. A few years ago they got the entire tech staff new Motorola v60 cell phones. Out of the box the damned things had this little blinkng LED. If you left it on it'd drain the hell out of the battery. Turning it off gave you about 40% more battery life.

Sometimes the bling just isn't worth it.

Which brings up a point: Could there be a RS232 port in wake-up mode with its charge pump running all the time?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've seen the Eee PCs at Central Computer, including the new 1000. Very nice. If it had a cardbus slot, I be a customer. I don't recall seeing anything like a 232 port. That 10 inch model is at the point where it is big enough to be usable.

I designed some of those auto-wakeup Maxim interface chips. The original AutoShutdown does not require the charge pump to be running. The AutoShutdownPlus is another story. Incidentally, the stupid computerese naming convention, i.e. running the words together and using capitalization to delineate words, was my idea. I read a rant, er make that editorial from William Safire about how he hated this trend in the English language, so I did my part to piss him off. The AutoShutdown notion itself was not my idea. I don't know if the inventors want their name on usenet, but I do want to make it clear that I only implemented the circuit.

Reply to
miso

If you were really trendy you would have called it "autoShutDown"

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Thanks for helping conserve the planet's supply of space symbols. If we ever run out of space symbols AllTheWordsWouldRunTogether.

Incidentally, note the number of words stuck together in the Microsoft Trademark list:

They're unofficially called "WikiWords":

Personally, I rather like the idea because it compensates for the writing style currently in fashion at the local multiversity, where everything is in lower case.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Microsoft registered "sideshow?" Tell that to the partakers of such antics on International Blvd in Oaktown.

Regarding lowercase typing, I have stolen your line about "getting that shift key fixed." You should have registered the phrase!

Reply to
miso

How about: "Those who use all lower case are shiftless!"

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

Notice to all employees:

In our continuing effort to conform to political correctness, we must insist that all employees call a spade a shovel.

That is all.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There are no blinking lights in "off" mode.

Reply to
sky465nm