Engraving bit for a mill

Does anyonw know where I can get a fine engraving bit, 10-20mil with a
shank size between 1/8 and 1/4 inch?

Thanx

Re: Engraving bit for a mill

You could try your nearest friendly Dremel tool supplier (eg
Bunnings), except they'll have smaller than 1/8" shanks (which
shouldn't present a major problem if you're able to use a collet or
pin chuck for the job). 3.0 mm most likely.

I haven't got a clue as to what 10-20mil might be as I'm only familiar
with microns, millimetres and thou's.  :)

Dremel have a couple of sizes of milling cutters for engraving as well
as diamond tools (for glass, ceramics, etc).

--
John H

Re: Engraving bit for a mill

Mil = thousandths of an inch?

That makes it a bloody small (and therefore very fragile) engraving
tool, though...

Peter

Re: Engraving bit for a mill

Correct, I can buy them from the states that go down to 4mil and have a
1/8inch shank which whould be ideal, but I have to order them in lots of
10. If I cant find any here I'll have to order them

I've tried the dremel bits and they are rather bad. The smallest is
0.8mm or 31mil, which is ok but idieally too wide. They also are a flat
end mill which cause problems with the initallt entry into the pcb,
secondly the shaft gets narrow 15-20mil before the 31mil head. Thirdly
the shank is 3/32inch which is 1/32 to narrow for the smallest collet I have

Re: Engraving bit for a mill

Try
 Trans-United Circuit Supplies
 Phone (07) 55766766
Dean.

Re: Engraving bit for a mill

I don't know if OSG bits are suitable, but they're available at Crest
http://www.cresttech.com.au/OSG.html

Re: Engraving bit for a mill

Thanx, I'll check them out
I also went to an engraving shop and they gave me a catalog for a shop
in Perth, 1/4" x 2" inch shaft solid tungsten, double ended, down to
5mil or 0.127mm for $26