Components etc

I needed to order printed circuit board and a few semiconductors along with plugs and other bits and pieces. So I picked up the new Electus catalogue to find the part numbers. Nothing, all gone, no entries! Looks like they're getting out of that market, probably too hard and too little profit - can't blame them I suppose. At least there's still RS, Element 14 and a few others for those that require components. This got me thinking about how the industry has changed, for better or worse depending from which angle you look at it. When I started in 1958 there was lots of opportunity. I qualified as a Radio Tech (that type of tech was expected to repair anything that had more that two wires in it!!) as that was the closest thing to an Electronics Tech, the later only became a qualification in its own right some time later. A question - does one still come across youngsters who are interested in electronics, hoping to make a career out of it? Not persons all can be university material and go on to become designers, there wouldn't be enough positions for them anyway.... what will be the electronic 'trades persons' of the future, will they become qualified board changers or just high tech delivery people changing over technical goods for customers when they regularly go faulty (due to inferior components manufactured in dodgy places)? I would be interested to see comments and views be they good, bad, humerous, nasty, interesting or whatever as to what the future of the electronics service industry will be.

Reply to
SFD

"SFD"

** The Electus catalogue is chock full of components - including passives, semis and even a few valves.

Copper clad board is sold by them in many sizes and types.

What catalogue did you read ?

** There is no such industry.

There is only the importing of consumer and professional electronics by a myriad a small and a few large import agents - been that way in Australia for the last 40 years. These importers either employ a few staff or use sub-contractors to carry out service on their brands while under warranty and for a few years beyond.

A great many products are throw away or consist of a few throw away sub assemblies - SMD and the Chinese have made this quite economic. Many service techs barely need to own a soldering iron these days.

I service professional audio at component level and so far have never replaced an SMD board in anything.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**What Phil said: Bollocks. 8th Edition. Pages 305 ~ 320, for actives. Pages 324 ~ 341 for passives. Plus boxes, fans and all the other stuff. Electus stock a respectable range of stuff for most enthusiasts.

Looks like they're

**And Electus, for anyone who can read. There's a few others too.
**Nope. They can make MUCH more money as an electrician and they don't have to learn as much stuff.
**Many are already.

**Not much of a future, I fear. Though, I must say, my business has been steadily increasing over the last couple of years, as more guys walk away, or retire. The money ain't what it once was.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

It will remain in some form servicing professional and other high value gear, but it is a dead end in consumer gear, cheaper to replace than fix.

Its not the only servicing profession to go that way, just think how many watchmakers there are around today compared to when you were young.

Personally, I also started out in 1958 training as an electronics designer. After a few years I found that there was more money in fixing stuff than designing it. Then I found that there was more money in fixing computers (biiiig computers that is not PCs) than general electronics. Lastly I found it even more rewarding to write software that helps others to fix computers (and you don't get dragged out in the middle of the night) so that is what I do, which is kind of closing the circle, writing software has a lot in common with designing electronics.

You have to adapt to the changing times. My next adaptation will be to retirement.

Reply to
keithr

"keith ratbag"

** There is virtually nothing in common.

Only f****it code scribblers imagine that.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Only the terminally ignorant could argue with it. Ever designed anything of significance phil or written any significant software?

I didn't think so.

Reply to
keithr

Some f****it TROLL wrote

** Piss off - you schizo, trolling lunatic .
Reply to
Phil Allison

Electus Distribution 2012 9th Edition.

Reply to
SFD

Electus Distribution 2012 9th Edition Catalogue

Page 305 = Outdoor Gadgets Hobby Kits onwards to 320 Page 324 = Terms & Conditions Page 325 onwards = Cat Number Index

I looked again - still cannot find semi's, caps, resitors, pc board etc....

Reply to
SFD

"SFD" "Phil Allison"

** Take a look at their on-line catalogue.

Fuckwit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I do believe that is is the full moon.

Come on phil tell us what you have designed and written.

Reply to
keithr

Speaking of which, can someone point me to another supplier of solar panel plugs

In my last order, I asked for 6mm and received 4mm. They even changed the description for the 6mm part.

Since I've picked up just about everything else I need from another source, but not theseitems, I'm not inclinded to play their stock roulette again.

So, can someone point me to another source.

Taah.

Reply to
terryc

... as pointed out in earlier postings, he fixes toasters, badly, and then only Philco toasters. He has also been known to dabble with kettles, but they were far in excess of his skill level.||:-( Be that as it may, one has to respect Phil for his broad indepth knowledge of electronics - he is a good source of information when he so feels inclined to part with it.

Hello Phil!! (watch the reply, it should be good).

Reply to
SFD

That's certainly true. A friend has qualifications as an electrician, electronics technician, radio technician, radar technician, even as a professional radio operator. All this and he makes $150k-200k per year using only his basic electrician skills. Only works a maximum of 6 months a year. This year he will probably only work 4 or 5 months but he will still make as much.

Technical colleges are dumping electronic technician courses in favour of IT courses.

--

Krypsis
Reply to

**Good plan. I usually order from WES, RS or Element 14. Electus is my last resort. On Thursday, I ordered some float switches (WES don't have them and RS/Element 14 ones are too expensive) and some NTC resistors from Electus. The job had to be completed today. The box turned up yesterday. Full of fans and power supplies. I demanded that they courier the correct stuff to pronot. Nothing happened. Of course. No promised 'phone calls, no courier. Nothing. Bloody Electus. They wrote me a letter awhile back asking why I'd not placed any orders in a long time. I told them that the stuff they sold was crap quality and the orders were often incorrect or incomplete. Nothing has changed. Back to the usual suspects for me. Bloody Electus. That balls-up cost me a bundle. I should have known better. I hope Gary enjoys his new Ferrari. He sure won't be filling the tank with my money anytime soon.