Components etc

I needed to order printed circuit board and a few semiconductors along with
plugs and other bits and pieces. So I picked up the new Electus catalogue to
find the part numbers. Nothing, all gone, no entries! Looks like they're
getting out of that market, probably too hard and too little profit - can't
blame them I suppose. At least there's still RS, Element 14 and a few others
for those that require components.
This got me thinking about how  the industry has changed, for better or
worse depending from which angle you look at it.
When I started in 1958 there was lots of opportunity. I qualified as a Radio
Tech (that type of tech was expected to repair anything that had more that
two wires in it!!) as that was the closest thing to an Electronics Tech, the
later only became a qualification in its own right some time later.
A question - does one still come across youngsters who are interested in
electronics, hoping to make a career out of it?
Not persons all can be university material and go on to become designers,
there wouldn't be enough positions for them anyway.... what will be the
electronic 'trades persons' of the future, will they become qualified board
changers or just high tech delivery people changing over technical goods for
customers when they regularly go faulty (due to inferior components
manufactured in dodgy places)?
I would be interested to see comments and views be they good, bad, humerous,
nasty, interesting or whatever as to what the future of the electronics
service industry will be.

Re: Components etc

"SFD"

** The Electus catalogue is chock full of components  -  including passives,
semis and even a few valves.

 Copper clad board is sold by them in many sizes and types.

 What catalogue did you read ?

** There is no such industry.

There is only the importing of consumer and professional electronics by a
myriad a small and a few large import agents - been that way in Australia
for the last 40 years. These importers either employ a few staff or use
sub-contractors to carry out service on their brands while under warranty
and for a few years beyond.

A great many products are throw away or consist of a few throw away sub
assemblies -  SMD and the Chinese have made this quite economic.  Many
service techs barely need to own a soldering iron these days.

I service professional audio at component level and so far have never
replaced an SMD board in anything.

...  Phil

Re: Components etc

Electus Distribution 2012 9th Edition.

Re: Components etc

"SFD"
 "Phil Allison"

** Take a look at their on-line catalogue.

     Fuckwit.

....  Phil

Another supplier of solar connectors? wasRe: Components etc

Speaking of which, can someone point me to another supplier of solar
panel plugs

http://electusdistribution.com.au/productresults.asp?formCA%T&CATID42%&SUBCATID36%5

In my last order, I asked for 6mm and received 4mm.
They even changed the description for the 6mm part.

Since I've picked up just about everything else I need from another
source, but not theseitems, I'm not inclinded to play their stock
roulette again.

So, can someone point me to another source.

Taah.

Re: Another supplier of solar connectors? wasRe: Components etc
http://electusdistribution.com.au/productresults.asp?formCA%T&CATID42%&SUBCATID36%5

**Good plan. I usually order from WES, RS or Element 14. Electus is my
last resort. On Thursday, I ordered some float switches (WES don't have
them and RS/Element 14 ones are too expensive) and some NTC resistors
from Electus. The job had to be completed today. The box turned up
yesterday. Full of fans and power supplies. I demanded that they courier
the correct stuff to pronot. Nothing happened. Of course. No promised
'phone calls, no courier. Nothing. Bloody Electus. They wrote me a
letter awhile back asking why I'd not placed any orders in a long time.
I told them that the stuff they sold was crap quality and the orders
were often incorrect or incomplete. Nothing has changed. Back to the
usual suspects for me. Bloody Electus. That balls-up cost me a bundle. I
should have known better. I hope Gary enjoys his new Ferrari. He sure
won't be filling the tank with my money anytime soon.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Components etc

**What Phil said: Bollocks. 8th Edition. Pages 305 ~ 320, for actives.
Pages 324 ~ 341 for passives. Plus boxes, fans and all the other stuff.
Electus stock a respectable range of stuff for most enthusiasts.

  Looks like they're

**And Electus, for anyone who can read. There's a few others too.

**Nope. They can make MUCH more money as an electrician and they don't
have to learn as much stuff.

**Many are already.

**Not much of a future, I fear. Though, I must say, my business has been
steadily increasing over the last couple of years, as more guys walk
away, or retire. The money ain't what it once was.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Components etc

Electus Distribution 2012 9th Edition Catalogue

Page 305 = Outdoor Gadgets Hobby Kits onwards to 320
Page 324 = Terms & Conditions
Page 325 onwards = Cat Number Index

I looked again - still cannot find semi's, caps, resitors, pc board etc....

Re: Components etc
<snip>

That's certainly true. A friend has qualifications as an electrician,
electronics technician, radio technician, radar technician, even as a
professional radio operator. All this and he makes $150k-200k per year
using only his basic electrician skills. Only works a maximum of 6
months a year. This year he will probably only work 4 or 5 months but he
will still make as much.

Technical colleges are dumping electronic technician courses in favour
of IT courses.

Krypsis

Re: Components etc

It will remain in some form servicing professional and other high value
gear, but it is a dead end in consumer gear, cheaper to replace than fix.

Its not the only servicing profession to go that way, just think how
many watchmakers there are around today compared to when you were young.

Personally, I also started out in 1958 training as an electronics
designer. After a few years I found that there was more money in fixing
stuff than designing it. Then I found that there was more money in
fixing computers (biiiig computers that is not PCs) than general
electronics. Lastly I found it even more rewarding to write software
that helps others to fix computers (and you don't get dragged out in the
middle of the night) so that is what I do, which is kind of closing the
circle, writing software has a lot in common with designing electronics.

You have to adapt to the changing times. My next adaptation will be to
retirement.

Re: Components etc

"keith ratbag"

** There is virtually nothing in common.

   Only fuckwit code scribblers imagine that.

....  Phil

Re: Components etc

Only the terminally ignorant could argue with it. Ever designed anything
of significance phil or written any significant software?

I didn't think so.

Re: Components etc

**   Piss off   -  you schizo, trolling lunatic .

Re: Components etc

I do believe that is is the full moon.

Come on phil tell us what you have designed and written.

Re: Components etc

... as pointed out in earlier postings, he fixes toasters, badly, and then
only Philco toasters.
He has also been known to dabble with kettles, but they were far in excess
of his skill level.||:-(
Be that as it may, one has to respect Phil for his broad indepth knowledge
of electronics - he is a good source of information when he so feels
inclined to part with it.

Hello Phil!! (watch the reply, it should be good).

Site Timeline