OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Just bought a F&P chest freezer to replace an older chest freezer with thermostat stuck on flat out (I'll look at replacing the thermostat now that I have the new freezer to put the contents in).

I have the thermostat turned up to 5 (out of a maximum of 6) on the F&P, yet the internal thermometer hasn't dropped below zero, or maybe

*just* below zero. It's in the exact same location as the old one, which sat at about -20C using the same thermometer (keeping in mind the thermostat was stuck on flat out).

says average freezer temps should be -23 to -18 °C.

Personally I don't think zero degrees is good enough. Opinions, please?

Reply to
Jeßus

Mine is set at -9c and I find it satisfactory. We used to use ice cream as = a gauge. If it stayed solid but you could still insert a spoon, then that w= ould be about right. But yes definitely below 0c

Reply to
The Pilot

Is "5" hotter or colder than "3" ?

Zero degrees only if it's Farenheit. Most packaged frozen food specifies at or below -18°C

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Hmmm, 1 freezer 'stat u/s, 1 freezer 'stat OK low on gas. What to do ??

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Just some thoughts...

  1. Dedicated freezers (chest freezers in particular) can take up to a week to get to their optimal working state. A bit like the four-cylinder Prado some bloke mentioned here not long ago - the tiny motor'll get the job done, just give it time.

  1. You need to have food in there; if you've got it running empty, it'll likely never get to its proper working temperature. The more food you have in there, the colder it'll get (strange but true!).

  2. F&P don't have the world's best QA department. I bought a brand new F&P fridge many years ago and had to get their technician out twice in the first three weeks.
--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

I had all sorts of trouble with our F&P fridge from new, then bought anothe= r=20 thermostat and fitted that to make a fridge that has been faultless even si= nce,=20 like it's 17 years old now.. so from this I'd suspect you have a similar=20 problem.=20

Al

--=20 I don't take sides.=20 It's more fun to insult everyone.=20

Reply to
Albm&ctd

I don't think it is either.

We have a F&P vertical freezer and while I don't recall if it has an adjustable thermostat it sits constantly on -19 degrees. Similarly, the freezer compartment of our Westinghouse fridge does have a thermostat and a built in temp gauge, and we have that set to -18 degrees which is just right for ice cream.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Agree with that.

We bought a F&P dishwasher and it ran for 6 weeks before it shat itself, and it took them 2 months to do anything about it. In the mean time I'd replaced it with a Bosch and sent the F&P back to F&P for a refund.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

F&P is terrible.

Yes, I would expect to see even the most basic domestic chest freezer hit -20°C (... eventually).

You've been a sold a lemon most likely. Personally I'd see this as a good thing if you can take it back and get a refund. Find a Kelvinator / Westinghouse / Whirlpool that's been made in Australia (just check the nameplate - some models are made here, some overseas) and you'll get much better performance and longevity.

--
.o( Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No wait, not me. You )
Reply to

Probably not a bad idea, and you are doing your little bit for local jobs too.

Did the same with my mums fridge/freezer some 8 years back, the locally made 400L approx Westinghouse we got her has run really well in that time, very nice fridge, no problems, no rust, no broken shelves or internal fittings. From memory it was only $200 more than the crappier brands at the time, had a good energy star rating which has to be taken into account over the life of the unit.

The F&P that it replaced had problems with rust, and one shelf broke in half after about 2 years, and when examined, the plastic shelf design was very poor in my opinion. I wouldn't buy that brand again, if I was looking long term

Reply to
kreed

Ummm... Unless something's drastically changed over the past few years, you'll find that F&P refrigeration products are made in Queensland.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

od

ch

I think you will find that it was closed down

According to this, they closed their Cleveland, QLD Australia plant in

2008.

reliability products with their dishwashers are also mentioned further down the page.

Reply to
kreed

"Oh my God, they killed Cleveland!" "You Bastards!"

So now there's literally _no_ reason to pay their extortionate prices.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Rheilly Phoull Inscribed thus:

Return it as faulty ! I agree the lack of gas. Probably a micro leak in a pipe joint !

A few years back I bought a new freezer. It was fine for about 6-7 months but I had to keep turning up the stat to keep it cold enough. At 10 months the stat was full up and the compressor was running continuously.

We complained to the manufacturer who sent an engineer out, who said it had lost its gas, he re-gassed it. 12 months later we were in the same situation again. We again complained to the manufacturer who said sorry its out of warranty. So we said that we were going to sue them !

10 days later we issued CCP against the company. A week after that we had a new freezer and repayment of the CCP costs. No other compensation though. The replacement freezer is absolutely fine, just as the original one should have been.

HTH

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Err, I discovered the fridge thermometer I'd used must have had a temporarily stuck dial... :)

Tried another thermometer and the freezer is at about -25°C, so all is well. The original thermometer now agrees as well... must've jolted something loose again I guess.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Jeßus

All sorted out now - dodgy thermometer! My last (new) chest freezer was a F&P, never had trouble with that and only sold it at the time because I didnt need one foe a few years. But it's such a minefield these days, picking between brands of whitegoods. They change things all the time, so you never know.

Reply to
Jeßus

Sorted out the isssue - dodgy thermometer!

Problem is these days there's such a limited range in chest freezers available, seeking out a specific size really limits your options. And not all brands or models are sold down here in Tassie, which limits it even more.

The F&P is the only one with an internal light, which I have to admit swayed me a bit, plus the one I chose was heavily discounted - superceded model I think.

Reply to
Jeßus

My 3 y/o Electrolux fridge has the same problem with the internal plastics - brittle as all hell. I'm NOT impressed about that. It's of the 'upside down' type, the two front covers for the freezer drawers both broke ages ago and many cracks in the fridge section as well.

Reply to
Jeßus

In my case,if I want an ice maker L&P are the only maker with one less than 800mm wide which is my available space.

Reply to
F Murtz

F&P have never been any good, regardless of where they were made. And definitely not worth paying a premium for.

I wasn't actually aware that they were ever made in Australia (I thought they were a Kiwi mob).... but regardless my comment about being "made in Australia" was purely for the Kelvinator / Westinghouse / Whirlpool brands that have a combination of Australian-made and overseas-made products. The Australian-made stuff is good gear. The overseas made stuff is not so good. Prices usually vary accordingly. It's definitely worth paying the small premium for the locally made product.