Class 2 or double insulated computer ATX power supplies - do they exist?

I'm using a USB connected capacitive sensor which works fine when connected to a laptop, but has a 50Hz noise problem when connected to a normal desktop PC. Research indicates this could be due to the USB ground being connected to the mains earth inside the PC. Earth isolation seems like an obvious solution, but I haven't been able to find a class 2 power supply. Do they exist?

Mike

Reply to
Mike B

USB isolator?

Dennis

"Mike B"

** Is that a battery operated laptop ?

but has a 50Hz noise problem when connected to a normal desktop PC.

** Grounding usually fixes noise injection.

** Don't be coy - what do you call " research " ???

** The earth could be flat too.

** Not unless you believe the earth IS flat.
** No.

FFS - tell us what the heck you are trying to do and with what.

And if doing that simple thing is just not possible - then

FUCK the HELL OFF !!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm taking you off my Christmas card list.

Mike

Reply to
Mike B

do you get the same problem if you ground the laptop? if not, it's not an earthing problem, it's something else.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

to a

find

The noise increases by a factor of 4.

Reply to
Mike B

to a

find

Sounds like you need to try another power point and another power supply , switch mode supplys can be very noisy at times if there is an earthing problem or a conflict with another switch mode on the same phase

--
Reply to
atec77

to a

find

It seems your capacitor is acting like an antenna,

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Reply to