CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

Has anyone tried using a stepper motor from a CDROM ?

I have one, it was used to drive the spindle i.e. spin the disk
of a Sony CDROM.
It has 9 windings (coils) on the stator and 6 magnetic poles on the rotor.
(North poles only - 12 N+S in total)
The 9 stator windings are connected to only 3 terminals.

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

"fritz"

** They are all " brushless DC " motors.

** Google will supply you countless sites about how to modify and use a CR
rom motor in model aeroplanes.

The three wires go to a dedicated, variable frequency speed controller.

......   Phil

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

The one I have is clearly a stepper motor. You could say all stepper motors
are 'brushless DC' motors if you think about it.....
You apply a current to the motor terminals and it moves to a fixed position.

I haven't had much luck in searching for such sites using Google. (including
groups)
Perhaps you could post a few relevant URLs, I must be using the wrong
search terms  :(

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor
You'll find a lot of information about controlling them in the RC aero
modelling groups, they modify them for flight. Other than that, look out
for hard disk motor control and brushless dc motor control.

Clint Sharp

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

I haven't had much luck in searching for such sites using Google. (including
groups)
Perhaps you could post a few relevant URLs, I must be using the wrong
search terms  :(

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

"fritz"

**  Just use " cd rom motor " in Google.

 Gets thousands of hits -  the first page should keep you busy for hours.

....  Phil

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

Thanks for that.

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor
cd rom motor rc were the search terms I used...

--
Clint Sharp

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

Thanks for the help.

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

Stepper motor ?!!!

How would you servo control a stepper motor to track a CD pre-groove ?

geoff

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

Look up 'spindle'. i.e. it spins the disk
The motor I was talking about isn't part of the laser groove tracking system at
all.....

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

A stepper motor spinning the spindle - that doesn't sound very smooth !

I think you'll find it is a conventional brushless DC motor - not a stepper
motor.

geoff

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

The spindle motors I have replaced are 2-wire motors with brushes, it's
these brushes wearing out that causes motor failure. It's rare to find a
  bearing failure as a fault condition.

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

"Fun Tyme"

** You replace the motors in CD-rom players ????

     Bet ya don't.

** Doubt you will find brush motors in a many CR-rom player / burner.

 Specially not the ones that do 48 and 52 times speed.

......  Phil

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor
You are correct of course, I meant CD players as in shitbox consumer
"HiFi". I didn't read properly - a combination of age, general stupidity
  and drugs.
Now I will have to wreck a CD-ROM unit and find out what spins ...

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

"Fun Tyme"

**   LOL   !!

** Just had a peek at old one of mine, stored away because it still works
and I never chuck out a " goer" .

The thing that " spins "  look far to simple to even work.

Bit like a small jet turbine  -  I fancy.

... rgds,     Phil

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

"Phil Allison"

** Typo....

.....  Phil

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

     Strange - that's exactly what I was thinking too. I always had the
idea that the disc rotates at a very constant velocity, which stepping
motors don't do.

Bob

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor
In message
CD-ROM spindle motors are generally brushless hall effect sensor types
(at least all the ones I've seen recently are) but isn't that just a
variant of stepper motor? Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just not
sure where the lines are drawn.

Clint Sharp

Re: CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

No. CD motors spin continuously.

Stepper motors action is to , surprising, step, one distinct step for every
driving pulse. Would not give a very nice clan smooth spin, even at high
speed.

geoff

Site Timeline