CDROM Spindle Stepper motor

Has anyone tried using a stepper motor from a CDROM ?

I have one, it was used to drive the spindle i.e. spin the disk of a Sony CDROM. It has 9 windings (coils) on the stator and 6 magnetic poles on the rotor. (North poles only - 12 N+S in total) The 9 stator windings are connected to only 3 terminals.

Reply to
fritz

"fritz"

** They are all " brushless DC " motors.
** Google will supply you countless sites about how to modify and use a CR rom motor in model aeroplanes.

The three wires go to a dedicated, variable frequency speed controller.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In message , fritz writes

You'll find a lot of information about controlling them in the RC aero modelling groups, they modify them for flight. Other than that, look out for hard disk motor control and brushless dc motor control.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

The one I have is clearly a stepper motor. You could say all stepper motors are 'brushless DC' motors if you think about it..... You apply a current to the motor terminals and it moves to a fixed position.

I haven't had much luck in searching for such sites using Google. (including groups) Perhaps you could post a few relevant URLs, I must be using the wrong search terms :(

Reply to
fritz

I haven't had much luck in searching for such sites using Google. (including groups) Perhaps you could post a few relevant URLs, I must be using the wrong search terms :(

Reply to
fritz

"fritz"

** Just use " cd rom motor " in Google.

Gets thousands of hits - the first page should keep you busy for hours.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for that.

Reply to
fritz

In message , fritz writes

cd rom motor rc were the search terms I used...

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Stepper motor ?!!!

How would you servo control a stepper motor to track a CD pre-groove ?

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Look up 'spindle'. i.e. it spins the disk The motor I was talking about isn't part of the laser groove tracking system at all.....

Reply to
fritz

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
fritz

A stepper motor spinning the spindle - that doesn't sound very smooth !

I think you'll find it is a conventional brushless DC motor - not a stepper motor.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

The spindle motors I have replaced are 2-wire motors with brushes, it's these brushes wearing out that causes motor failure. It's rare to find a bearing failure as a fault condition.

Reply to
Fun Tyme

"Fun Tyme"

** You replace the motors in CD-rom players ????

Bet ya don't.

** Doubt you will find brush motors in a many CR-rom player / burner.

Specially not the ones that do 48 and 52 times speed.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Strange - that's exactly what I was thinking too. I always had the idea that the disc rotates at a very constant velocity, which stepping motors don't do.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

CD-ROM spindle motors are generally brushless hall effect sensor types (at least all the ones I've seen recently are) but isn't that just a variant of stepper motor? Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just not sure where the lines are drawn.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

You are correct of course, I meant CD players as in shitbox consumer "HiFi". I didn't read properly - a combination of age, general stupidity and drugs. Now I will have to wreck a CD-ROM unit and find out what spins ...

Reply to
Fun Tyme

"Fun Tyme"

** LOL !!

** Just had a peek at old one of mine, stored away because it still works and I never chuck out a " goer" .

The thing that " spins " look far to simple to even work.

Bit like a small jet turbine - I fancy.

... rgds, Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** Typo....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No. CD motors spin continuously.

Stepper motors action is to , surprising, step, one distinct step for every driving pulse. Would not give a very nice clan smooth spin, even at high speed.

geoff

Reply to
geoff