Buliding a fingertip pulse device

Im a trying to build a cheap and simple device, which will be connected
to a computer, to detect the heart rate.

To do this i am planning to use a pressure sensor which will be cliped
onto a finger to get the pulse rate and from there work out the heart
rate.

I was wondering if anyone can give me any to website or companys that
sell basic off the shelf pressure sensors that i am build my system
around

thanks Paul

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

See "Earpulse.pdf" on the S.E.D/Schematics page of my website.  This
uses light, but works on fingers just as well as it does on ear lobes.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

You've got it right, Jim.  I recently had a work up (I have both AF and
COPD).  The tech had me walk briskly up and down the hall for a total of
a few hundred meters while keeping an eye on a hand held pulse meter.
The pickup was an IR (or red?) LED and photo pickup.  I can't see a
pressure transducer working reliably in that application.

Ted

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

Thanks for all the help guy, massive help

Thank you all

Paul

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

I read in sci.electronics.design that Pauly_G2002
a fingertip pulse device', on Fri, 11 Nov 2005:

Use a ceramic sounder disc. They make excellent low-frequency pressure
transducers and are very low-cost.
Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

Hey, John -

What is a sounder disc?

Thanks,
John

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

   This has been done using a laser that can also read out blood pressure...

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

Hi Robert,

Cool, do you have any sources?

Marte

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

Something else of interest: you can measure the oxygen level in the blood by
using 2 leds instead of one: 1 red, one IR. The difference between the two
(once calibrated) is related to how many red blood cells are carrying
oxygen. The hospital ones do this.

-Daniel

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

anyone have a basic shematic for this to use with an i/o device? im
buying an ethernet 24port i/o device soon, and monitoring my pulse and
blood oxygen levels would be very nice, also as i suffer sleep apnea i
could see how often my oxygen levels drop

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

ive come across this
http://www.picotech.com/experiments/calculating_heart_rate /
looks like it's what i need, now i just need to know more on this oxygen
    sensor?

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

You mean like this one?
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5490523.html

You could also try http://www.google.com/search?q=pulse-oximeter

Good Luck!
RIch

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

ahh yeah, thanks, i foudn on wiki the wavelengths needed,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_oximeter
should be interesting to build..
how would one calculate it though?
it asks for 2 leds, and a photodiode, i thought it would need 2
photodiodes...

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

real things are more difficult than principle schemas looks like ;-)
But it is true you need only one Photodiode. But for layman it would be
easier to built the device from Circuit Cellular Dec 2004 Issue 173 Page 26
"TSL230R-Based Pulse Oximeter"

Marte

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

[someone wrote]

This one?
http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/1204/Bachiochi173/index.htm

Did that guy get paid by the word? ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Re: Buliding a fingertip pulse device

Pressure sensing is going to be VERY sensitive to mechanical influences.
Don't the commercial ones use optical techniques?
mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.