before mythbusters

There used to be a show on channel 2 that was very interesting. I am trying
to remember the name of it.

It had two british guys that used to play around with various gadgets. I
recall on one of the shows they explained how fuel injectors work. They
rigged up a few injectors to squirt petrol straight into a candle, one by
one.

On another episode, they took apart a VCR and showed the audience how it
works.

It was a light hearted show. Similar in a sense to Mythbusters. I think it
may have been a BBC production. Not sure. Does anyone know the name of it?

Re: before mythbusters

I don't think I'm thinking of the same one......there was one ~10 yrs ago,
title may have been "Great Ideas" (no, not the crappy show on commercial TV
in the last year or five).

One episode was on "how TV works" - show ended with a shot of a big pile of
tellies on fire and another one was the history & development of carpet
sweepers / vacuum cleaners. Theme music for the show was "Take 5" -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Five

The only other show I can recall where similar things were done was "The
Goodies" but I'm pretty sure thats not the show you
recall............................

Re: before mythbusters

Maybe  you are thinking about the seceret life of machines
and they had another one about bussiness machines and the like.

The main guy was very low key and was a bit of a cartoonist and added a few
simple animations into the
programe. There was an assistant who did not say much
and was a stunt driver and in one show rolled a car.

A very good show with no hype, just pulling stuff
to bits and describing how it worked but entertaining
just the same.

I was on SBS not the ABC. Did tape some shows will
try to dig them out. Had funny open and close music
with animitations.

                                  Cheers
                                                   Dave

http://www.crossbandradio.com /

Re: before mythbusters

    The main guy's name is Tim Hunkin - his website's at
http://www.timhunkin.com/ and worth a look. :-)

    His off-sider is Rex Garrod, website at
http://www.specialeffects.freeserve.co.uk/ but it hasn't been updated
for 5 years.

Bob

Re: before mythbusters

Thanks guys, yes it was the Secret life of Machines.

I had to find out. It was just killing me... Wish I could find some tapes of
it somewhere. Was a very entertaining show.

Re: before mythbusters

    Same here! I just found out that tapes and downloads from the series
are available. :-)) This page on Tim's website tells you where:

    http://www.timhunkin.com/48_secretlifeofmachines3.htm

Cheers
Bob

Re: before mythbusters

I watched the Quartz Watch one, great stuff!

Dave :)

Re: before mythbusters

    Especially the very last part! :-)

    I've been downloading all of them... just got a warning from my ISP
that I'm about to exceed my monthly download limit. :-)

Bob

Re: before mythbusters

I have just finished downloading all of them too. My download limit is not
looking too good either....Worth it tho...

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Mythbusters, and perhaps I should
not even be comparing the two, as they are designed for two very different
audiences, but I absolutely love the frank and "no frills" nature of the
secret life of machines. There is something wholesome about the program. I
am in contact with some science teachers. I will recommend they show the
films in class.

Re: before mythbusters

I would compare it more to the Curiosity Show than Mythbusters. Those
who were bought up in the 70's and 80's should know what I'm talking
about.

The great thing about Mythbusters, apart from the excellent characters
of course, is that they *don't* know what they are doing, and hence
aren't really trying to teach you anything, they just entertain by
blowing things up and building cool stuff. No wonder us electronics
types have lapped it up, it's backyard engineering at it's best.

Perhaps the Bomarc guys (http://www.bomarc.org /) can put a cable show
together! :->

Dave :)

Re: before mythbusters

Here you go, about 11:30 in...

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-9205952649903947712&q=secret+life+of+machines

I've never seen this show before but it looks fascinating!

Re: before mythbusters

Another great show was Coltrane's Planes and Automobiles where Robbie
Coltrane explained things like V8's, Steam, Afterburneres,
Superchargers, etc.

Great entertainment.

- Rob.

Re: before mythbusters

A similar series was "THE ACME SCHOOL OF STUFF"
Does anyone know where this series can be downloaded?