anybody used "wire glue"?

I am told it is good for replacing the batteries in Holden car keys,
as soldering them can be tricky.
I see Jaycar and a few others sell it.

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

I tried it for much the same application, with little success.

Sylvia.

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

Many, MANY moons ago, when I was working at Tandy Electronics, we sold
"solder tape" - which was almost as effective as wrapping an aluminium
chewing gum wrapper around the joint. By the sounds of it, this "wire glue"
is about as good.

If you're needing to solder directly to a button cell, just score the
surface extensively with a sharp blade and solder directly to it with a hot
iron and some fine rosin-cored solder; the joint will last at least as long
as the cell.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

I'd made some limited attempts to solder to the cells, but had concluded
that it was simply not possible. Since you say it can be done, I'll have
to give it another go.

Sylvia.

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

The trick is in the scoring; you need to create a rough surface devoid of
the shiny outer layer, then solder to it as quickly as possible before it's
had a chance to start oxidising.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

Bobs spot on about scraping off the oxide layer first.

It may be the wrong thing to do but I use a very hot iron to get the
joint done quickly. A spot of liquid flux may help too.

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

tap the area with a die grinder , some isoprp and solder quickly
  trick is not to leave residue or the soldering fails

--

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

This seppo tried wire glue on an "aloominum" solar cell.
He won't use it again unless it's impossible to "sodder".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmJ_PB8bqdw

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?
It's useful for repairing small breaks , things like slot car frames but
it is bad electrically and wont glue to stainless very well or chrome ,
and the metal surfaces need a good sanding

--

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

Has anyone tried 'mini' spot-welding these batteries?
Maybe you could do it with a hefty bench PS or a car battery etc.

Re: anybody used "wire glue"?

I've tried it in the past, with very limited success.

The problem is that only a tiny area of the conductor actually "welds" to
the battery, meaning that a butterfly in the Amazon flapping its wings too
violently would be enough to cause the joint to fail.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Site Timeline