Acer AL2223W monitor repair

I've been asked to look at an Acer AL2223W 22" LCD monitor with a problem. Symptom: Powers up, power light remains on, but only a brief flash of display. I suspect the backlight system - inverter? - but never having worked on an LCD monitor before (plenty of CRT's!) would appreciate any insight from someone who is familiar with this particular model.

Thanks,

John Mackesy

Reply to
John

John, as a general guide LCD monitor faults fall into two areas - backlight/inverter (which matches the symptoms you describe) and faulty PSU, usually resulting from bad electros, where the PSU cycles and the power light does likewise.

However the hardest bit is usually opening the damned thing..

Reply to
who where

A common fault on 17" acers was dry solder joints on certain components. I'm not sure what the name of the component is but I presume it is a noise filter. It's a magnetic ring with a coil of wire wound around it. In my case it had only around 10 windings. I had 3 acer monitors with a dry solder join on this same component.

Michael

Reply to
Mickel

The gang in sci.electronics.repair should be able to help you with this one. My guess would be a bad backlight inverter board.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter