A good topic for Mythbusters

A good topic for mythbusters might possibly be
the myth that mobile phones are dangerous at
petrol stations

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

They did that already.

- Chock.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Shit I missed it

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

From memory, they concluded that the mobile phone transmissions are not the
cause, but static electricity build-up from clothes, etc being discharged on
the pump nozzle.

- Chock.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Yup. The tip-off was that most pump fires have been started by women.
You see, you normally discharge static when you step out of the car whil
holding onto the door. But some women have a tendency to get back in the
car to get their money out of their purses, then to get out again
without touching the door, because it's already open.

Luke

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Weird. I rarely get back in the car to get my money, I get my purse out,
then get out of the car and get the petrol...

--
Katharine
  "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the

Yeah but you aren't a woman. You're a drag queen!

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

I thought that the theory was this: That under the right conditions a
static charges will build up in a car. It was happening in mine and i
fixed it by installing a static strap which grounds the car. However, if
there is a charge built up in the car it can ground itself through the
nozzle on the bowezer which results in a spark which can ignite vapours at
the entrance to the fuel inlet pipe. I doubt that the sex of the person
has much to do with it.

D.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

"most pump fires are started by women" is because most women use a purse to
carry their money, and since they don't carry their purse with them all the
time, so for convenience, it is left in the car until needed or they have a
handy moment to get it, when the tank is filling up. The woman would
typically sit back in the car, generating a static charge through clothes
contact with the car seat, and when they exit they don't touch the car door
since it is already open. The next object they touch is the pump handle ....
boom! Since most men carry wallets, usually in their pocket, they have no
need to go back to the car. This "theory" would seem to make sense from a
socialiological viewpoint, and according to the statistics they quoted in
the said episode, is backed up by those statistics.

- Chock.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

the
discharged on

"Most" fires but only "some" women.....sounds like a myth being made to
match the result.

Ken

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

That's the way that I remember it as well. They tried several times to get
a spark from a mobile phone to ignite some petrol fumes. I think 'Buster'
(See note 1) eventually got toasted but by a spark from static
electricity.

D.

Note 1: Does 'Buster' have a fan web site?

D.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/html/buster.html ;)

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Yeah!

Buster rocks!!!!!!

D.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Thats one issue with mythbusters though and that is that they cannot
replicate all the possible sonarios to test the myth or not. Some yes,
but a lot no. With the mobile phone issue the issue is the mobile
generating a spark with enough grunt to ignite the fuel vapor. The
chances of that happening would be so slim its not funny, so how would
you acuratly re-create it to prove one way or the other.

  For mine I think they are over reacting quite a bit with this one.
As pointed out there are other causes of sparks that occour more often
then a mobile phone, or CB radio. Even some of the things that happen
under the bonnet have a potential too.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

I believe they failed to test this myth by not having "auto-answer" turned
on. so all the phone did is ring, but if it answered a different level of
charge would have been emitted. I don't know if it still would have been
enough to spark, but they didn't try.

--
People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. - Leo J.
Burke

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Once upon a time I Caught Kate decided to write:

They should do a UFO thing. lol

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Why?  UFOs are real.  Alien spacecraft aren't.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Once upon a time qwerty decided to write:

True

Well they might be, but we wouldn't know unless one landed and we got a look
at it. For all you know "Aliens" may have seen our space pods exploring
space and thought of them as UFOs as well. lol Perhaps UFOs are like these
explorer pods without any being on board. ;-)

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Proof?

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Show me one?